-Chapter seventy-four-

Emilia

Friday night

'I think I've found the dress!' I call out to Nancy who's looking through the racks with Leigh-Anne. We decided to go dress shopping one last time before prom tomorrow, and of course I invited Leigh. They come over, holding the dresses they've picked out and take a look at the one I've pulled from the rack.

'Woah, if that one had shown up earlier we wouldn't have had to go on so many trips to the dress store' Nancy says as she feels the fabric.

'Well looks like we're ready to go then' Leigh says before we collect our dresses and go to pay for them.

'So who are you going with tomorrow Emilia?' Leigh says as she picks up her sandwich and takes a few bites out of it. I answer while I twist my straw around in my milkshake.

'No one, but I did have an idea' I say causing them both to nod and tell me to continue.

'How about we all go as a group, like a friend group. I don't need a date when I have my friends' I say.

'That's actually a great idea, I'm sure Jordan would love to, we can all meet up at yours?' Leigh-Anne suggests and I nod, it did make sense since everyone knows where my house is.

'I'm in, Jonathan can give your parents his camera so we can take some photos' Nancy says, and I nod. It seems like a good idea, I'd just call Steve to come over and say we'll all go to prom together.

'What about Billy, are you going to tell him to join?' Leigh questions and I shrug.

'He was pretty confident he wasn't going to prom at all, but I'll talk to him' I say as I finish the rest of my milkshake and make a mental note that I need to talk to Billy tomorrow morning.

________________

Saturday Morning

I quickly finished my breakfast, shoving down my cereal before I put on my shoes and made my way next door. Billy mentioned the other day that he was going to be busy Saturday morning so I'm planning on catching him before he leaves.

I knocked on their front door, waiting for either Susan or Max to open it, but instead Neil opens the door, causing me to put on a forced and fake smile.

'Morning Emilia, here to see Billy?' Neil says and I nod.

'Morning, and yeah I just need to quickly speak to him' I say before an awkward silence surrounds us. I've never really had to talk to Neil one on one, only when my parents are around, and I'm far from liking him, Billy tells me about all of the bad things his dad has done to him, and I've seen it for myself.

Neil moves out of the doorway to let me in, and I quickly move upstairs to avoid anymore awkward contact. I can hear Billy's music from outside of his bedroom door, and I don't see the point of knocking, so I just push the door open.

Billy's sitting on the edge of his bed, flipping through a magazine full of pictures of cars and probably girls. He looks up when he sees me shut the door gently.

'Oh hey' Billy says as he moves over to his cupboard and turns his music down so we can talk. I take a seat on his bed and he sits across from me.

'Hi Billy, I just wanted to talk-'

'About prom right? Emilia I already said I wasn't going to go' Billy sighs, his tone exhausted, he's probably sick of this discussion but I didn't care.

'A few weeks ago you were fighting Steve over taking me to prom, now you don't want to go at all?' I say.

'Yeah I don't want to go, go with your friends and enjoy yourself. You're better off at prom without me' Billy says as he brushes his blonde hair back, but I shake my head.

'I remember months ago, I had visions of us at prom. I loved the thought of you being my date, of the fact that I was going to slow dance with you. We may not be together but we can still do that, you're my friend Billy, and I want you there' I plead, and I see Billy is trying to process my words, but he just sighs heavily again before shaking his head.

'That was months ago- Emilia go to prom without me, you'll have your friends and Harrington, you'll be fine' Billy says as he grabs ahold of my hands and places a kiss on them.

'Besides, I'm leaving town for a few days, I won't be able to make it' Billy says, causing me to furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

'Where are you going?' I ask.

'I don't know yet, but I'm driving my camaro out somewhere, I need time away from Hawkins' He says and I nod before I pull away from him and move off of his bed.

'I want to dance with you to the first slow song, whether you decide to show up tonight or not, just know that I'll be waiting' That's the last thing I say before I leave his bedroom and make my way back home.

________________

Saturday night

'You look gorgeous honey!' My mother exclaims as I pick up the bottom of my dress and make my way down the stairs. I can already see Jonathan's camera in her hands, and my dad stood beside her with a smile on his face and his arms open.

'You look beautiful baby' my dad compliments as I collapse in his arms and let him engulf me in a hug. They forced me to take photos, and told me to strike horrible poses that were far from flattering. But as soon as there was a knock on the door, I rushed over and pulled it open.

'Prom Night!' Steve exclaims as he throws his arms in the air, causing everyone behind him to laugh.

'Thank you' I say to Steve as he hands me a simple red rose and tells me to hold it in the photos. I compliment Jordan on his suit, and rant to Leigh about how beautiful she looks in her dress. Jonathan and Nancy follows behind them, and I hug them both and tell them how good they look together.

'Group photos c'mon kids' My dad says and we all huddle up and let my parents snap pictures of us. Steve stood next to me and draped his arm over my shoulder, pulling me closer to his body and I wrap my arm around his waist.

'You look gorgeous' Steve compliments and I smile up at him.

'You're looking pretty fine yourself Harrington' I say back, causing him to roll his eyes.

'You remind me of Billy when you call me that, so I suggest you stop' He says as we break apart and get ready to leave my house, my parents agreed to drive us there but in sperate cars so we could all fit.

'Yeah yeah Steve, let's just go to prom' I say as I gently shove him out of the front door and follow behind everyone else.

_____________
Yayayayaya I can't wait for the next chapter:)) -D ♡