-Chapter fifty-seven

Emilia

I was highly confused as I gazed at the two, both deep in conversation while the two of them wore scowls, as if they were forced to talk. I was sure my mouth was dropped open as I tried to figure out where this new found relationship came from. But just as fast as wind passes, they finished up talking with a nod, before they both departed as went their separate ways. But I plastered on a neautral look on my face and waited for my next class to arrive.

I spent majority of my classes thinking about the two of them talking, I was curious as to what would make them interact with one another, and the fact that it didn't involve me in the conversation had my head full of questions. But Steve didn't know I saw them, so he just acted like everything was normal.

'Steve?' I question as the last bell rings and we push out of our seats to leave the classroom. He just hums as a response, and we make our way to the parking lot.

'I have a question-' I start but he cuts me off as he looks around the parking lot, and he sighs out before turning to me.

'I'm sorry, I have to be somewhere..I'll talk to you later' Steve says quickly before he kisses my cheek and walks off to his car. Although I was frustrated that he didn't let me finish my sentence, and left me hanging, it was still Nancy's birthday and she still had plans. So I pushed that thought at the back of my mind, before making my way over to Jonathan and Nancy.

____________

'It's no problem, I'm glad you like it' I say to Nancy who excitedly looks through the gifts I bought her, which did consist of some pieces of clothing, but I let her look through as I take a seat on her bed and fiddle around with Jonathan's camera. I face it toward Nancy before snapping a picture of her and her present.

'Maybe I should become a photographer' I suggest, causing Jonathan to snort at my statement.

'You can't even hold one properly' Jonathan says as I roll my eyes as I take a quick picture of him to prove my point, and he just laughs.

'It seems like a lot of work, and I doubt my parents would want to spend a ton of money on a camera' I say as I hand it back to Jonathan.

'Well, invest in it if you want to, it's relaxing to me in a way...takes my mind off of things' Jonathan says, trailing off at the end of his sentence, and I nod as I take in the suggestion, maybe I should take up photography as a hobby, it could get me places.

'Anyway Nancy, Prom is pretty soon, have you found a dress yet?' I say as she closes the photo book I made her, similar to the one Jonathan gave me for my birthday, but mine didn't have the beautiful designs like the one Will drew, I'm pretty bad at art.

'One dress, but I'm still looking around' Nancy says and I groan as I'm suffering from the same problem, I've found one item but I'm not sure if it's the one I want, I barely feel like going to prom anymore if I'm being honest. Maybe it's not as important as everyone claims it to be.

'We should go for a shop around one time' I suggest and she agrees, causing Jonathan to groan as he realizes we're nominating him to drive us around.

'Are you going with Steve?' Jonathan questions, and I see Nancy shift slightly in discomfort, but she doesn't seem to mind and just sits up.

'Well he is my only date' I say followed by a chuckle and they nod in agreement, but Nancy shrugs her shoulders.

'What about Billy?' She asks and I lean back and rest on the headrest.