-Chapter seventy two-

Emilia

Steve was waiting by the bleachers, he had his bag on his back and looked like he continuously brushed his hair back, either from his nerves about our conversation or it was too long and got in the way of his eyes. It was probably both of those.

'Hey Steve' I greet quietly as I step toward him, and considering we've been best friends for most of our lives, I shouldn't feel uneasy talking to him, but somehow I do.

'Hey Em' he says back as he drops his hands from his hair and tries to figure out what do to with them.

'You wanted to talk' I say causing Steve to nod.

'Yeah, by the way I told Jordan to tell you to meet me here- him and I already hashed things out' Steve says and I nod slowly, happy that the two of them sorted things out on their own without having me to help them.

Steve and I both opened our mouths to talk but I chuckle and insist that he goes first.

'Look, I was an asshole. A huge one that not only ruined our relationship but broke us up over the shittiest reason, and I'm sorry for going behind your back and making deals with Billy, also for  dodging you for a few weeks, I just needed some space to clear my head and re-think about everything I said, I just wanted to say I'm sorry and I love you' Steve says genuinely, rambling like he usually does when he apologizes and I give in almost instantly and pull him into a hug.

'I'm sorry for making you feel like you were a second option, you never were. You're more important to me than that' I say as we release from the hug and stand a few inches away from each other.

'I know, but where do we stand now?' Steve questions, and I look around us to notice that the field was completely empty, the football team didn't have practice today I'm assuming.

'Well, I was thinking maybe we should just be friends again, start off slow- would that be fine?' I question, and Steve wraps his arm sound my shoulders as he pulls me into the side of his body.

'I was actually thinking the same thing, I missed you though, didn't hear your snarky remarks for I think three weeks straight, it's been hell' Steve says as we walk away from the bleachers and back toward the school buildings.

'Talk later?' I say to Steve when we finally reach Billy's car, ending the catch up conversation we just had. Billy's leaning on his car, cigarette dangling in his mouth as he watched Steve and I.

'Yeah, talk later' Steve says as he nods at me before turning on his heel, but before he leaves Billy calls out after him. Which not only surprises me, but surprises Steve too, but he still turns around and faces Billy.

'Sorry for being a dick, call it even if you do?' Billy says, and my eyes widen at his apology, even if it is a half ass one, it still shocked me that the word 'sorry' would be in a sentence he's saying to Steve, maybe Billy wanted a change like I did. Steve nods and wears a crooked grin.

'Yeah sure, Hargrove'

_____________

'That's the point of the game!' Lucas exclaims and I laugh as the boys, and Max, argue over the rules of this new game at the arcade and how it's played. I agreed to drive them here and they promised they'd only be an hour, but it may take a little longer considering they're bickering.

'Okay guys break it up, just split up and enjoy the other games, the arcade is closing in half an hour so I suggest you use your time wisely' I say as I point toward the clock and they all agree to ditch the argument and find other games to play.

'Hey baby sitter' Billy greets as I lean on one of the machines, I grin at him as he pulls one of the stools over and sits down in front of me.

'Hargrove, what're you doing here?' I question and he shrugs casually.

'Just thought I'd check on my sister, and my girl- these kids giving you a hard time?' Billy questions as he faces Dustin and Max obnoxiously cheering as they win a round on the game they're playing.

'They've been fair, and your girl huh?' I tease.

'Mhm, it's true, ever since I started climbing through your window to get away from my problems' Billy says and I sigh heavily as I reminisce those memories.

'So Prom this weekend, you going?' I question Billy, and he shakes his head.

'Nah, don't have a date' He says.

'You don't need one, you can go with your friends' I suggest but Billy shakes his head.

'What and show up with Tommy as my date-'

'You can come with me and my friends, we can go as a group, and I want you to be there' I say, trying not to sound too desperate, but he just nods at my statement before flashing me a smile.

'I'm irresistible I know-' Billy starts with his cocky tone but I cut him off as I roll my eyes.

'Yeah yeah, just think about coming along with us' I say and he nods.

'I'll think about it'

_________
The next few chapters are mainly based around the prom theme :)) - D ♡