34. A Willing Ear

The meeting went on for another hour or so, with everyone chipping in what they had seen over the past few days. Every now and then I zoned out, watching the way the dying sunlight slid across the high arching walls or gazing at the monsters around me. It didn't seem real. I couldn't believe I was finally back home, but to be greeted with even more trauma and treachery... I couldn't help but ask the universe: when am I gonna get a break? I scorned myself at the thought but it seemed all too reasonable to be written off so quickly. I remembered the days before the world began to cave in on itself, the days where my biggest worries were the bullies in my school and if my dad would burn the dinner again. Life seemed so mundane back then, so strangely simple. 

Maybe I was insane, but I was liking my life now, surrounded by people that I didn't realise I had so much in common with. These were people, I concluded, that I wanted to protect, to help, to save.

I continued to daydream but was snapped out of it when Asgore broke the short silence with a worrying statement:

"G-Sans, your sentence has been lifted, as we now know the reasons for your actions." He spoke, his tone far from light. My jaw dropped- sentence? What does he mean by sentence? My eyes snapped over to G, who right now, looked very guilty, his eye lights focused on the wooden table before us. He rubbed the back of his neck as if trying to ease some invisible tension, avoiding my gaze. With a tick of annoyance on my cheek I jabbed him in the side, eliciting a few laughs from around the table and a painful groan from G.

"What does he mean by sentence?" I demanded, not trying to be subtle, and G gave me a sheepish grin accompanied by a dopey shrug. Oh no, you're not getting off so easily. "You're telling me everything later." I spoke, folding my arms. G sighed, scratching his temple. After a moment he nodded, drawing up from the table.

"If that's everything, then we'll go. She's knackered, and frankly, so am I." G spoke, waiting for disagreement. Instead a few goodbyes and goodnights bubbled up from the table, seemingly satisfying him as he turned and walked out of the room. I followed after a short goodbye, a warm sort of feeling in my chest as the monsters smiled back at me.

I exited the room, G nowhere in sight down the corridor. He was probably already in the elevator. Sighing, I stood for a moment. I needed to just, absorb everything. So many things had changed and I didn't even know half of it.

A creak of the door interrupted my silence and I glanced over my shoulder, being very surprised to find Papyrus, out of all people, there. His expression was that of deep consideration and almost frustration, his eyes gazing at the floor when he finally turned around.

"Papyrus?" I questioned, turning to him. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect. Out of all the people in this place, I had presumed that he would be the same monster I knew when I got back. Well, back there in the Void, I wasn't even sure I would be coming back.

"Human... It truly is wonderful to see you back," Papyrus spoke, his expression hard. I had forgotten just how quiet his voice was now. I felt as if I had to strain my ears to hear him even though he spoke at the same volume as me.

"I'm glad to be back Papyrus. Congratulations on your position, by the way," I smiled, unsure where to place my hands so I settled for folding them in front of me. Papyrus' expression softened, his eyes carefully regarding me for a moment.

"Thank you, human. Many things have changed since you have been gone," He spoke hesitantly. I nodded, my gaze dropping to the floor.

"I figured as much. I'm hoping G will tell me what I missed," I replied with another smile. Papyrus looked to be deep in thought, as if mystified by my happy mood.

"I have changed." He muttered, but I didn't miss it. A small, sad smile crept onto my face, watching as Papyrus began to realise things for himself. It was then that I found it would be best to leave him to his thoughts.

"I'm glad to see you anyway, Papyrus. I have to go now, but I'll see you tomorrow." I nodded, a flicker of forlornment dancing across my expression, only seen in the dim light of the candles on the walls. Papyrus returned the nod and I swivelled on my heel, walking down the corridor with one final glance back. He didn't look so grand in the golden glow of the candles as one might have first thought, with his stature slightly bent and his usually domineering expression wilted. I sighed quietly and turned the corner, recognising the electronic light of the elevator. I entered, leaned back on the metal wall, keenly aware of G's curious gaze bearing into the side of my skin.

"All good?" Came his soft voice, and I relaxed slightly.

"All good." I murmured, my eyes closing.

———-x——x—-

The next thing I knew was some soft material beneath my body, and the distant feeling of warm, hard hands laying me down, their touch like kisses from clouds.

And then after that- the gentle embrace of sleep, washing over me and engulfing me like a low tide.

—————xx——

The next morning I awoke feeling like I had risen from a year-long sleep, with soft sunlight peering into the otherwise dark room. I propped myself up on an elbow, rubbing the sleep from my eyes and gazing around the place I had found myself in. It was square, dusty, with missing floorboards and stains of dark red every now and then scattered across the floor. The wallpaper was dark grey with no pattern, no feeling of home, and a couple of sets of drawers sat against the far walls, various things strewn across the top.

I swung my legs over the side of the apparent couch which was a whole other story. It was a faded cherry red, the generic colour of any couch, and it was sagging in most places, threads loose and ladder holes in the material. I stood and glanced back at it to find more ancient stains encrusted into the couch, with every single one of them presenting a dark, worrying red. 

My bare feet found the wooden floorboards to be mildly cold, and when I stood something had slipped off of my body; picking it up I realised it was G's signature leather jacket which caused a familiar warm sort of feeling to bubble up in my chest. I hugged it close, breathing in the scent with a content smile.

"Do you normally smell other people's clothes?" A mischievous voice drawled, and I jumped, my head snapping over to the door (which was now open). I cocked a brow when I saw who stood there, leaning against the door frame with his usual smirk written across his face.

"Well you're not getting it back anytime soon," I sassed back, unable to hide the grin that was creeping onto my face. G raised a brow-bone, entering the room.

"You better look after it then," he replied lowly, his voice thick as he leaned down a little, matching my height. My cheeks went pink, my hands nearly losing grip of the jacket in my hands. G smirked again, very much aware of the damn effect he had on me. I narrowed my eyes, taking a step closer and regaining my nerve. If he could flirt, then so could I.

"Oh, I will, sweetheart," I replied, gazing at him through my eyelashes and pronouncing every letter slowly. I nearly laughed aloud as his cheeks turned yellow, his eyes widening in surprise. Instead I kept my cool, a devilish grin playing on my face. "You've much to tell, so let's get going," I winked, patting his chest before strutting past him. Did I know where I was going? No. Was I exiting the room just for the dramatic effect? Yes. When I left the room I smacked a hand over my mouth to muffle the giggles, peeking inside the room to see G standing frozen, exactly as I had left him.

Two can play at that game, my thoughts concluded.

————8989898989————-123546———-010——————-

Sorry for the late update! I've had a difficult and long day.

If crying all the way through Avengers Infinity War wasn't enough, I was also slightly rejected by my crush-who-isn't-exactly-a-crush.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the latest chapter.