30. Splintered Heart

The snow that clung to the roots of the trees twinkled in the fleeting sunshine, G's hard boots melting the remaining ice coating the ground. All around us it was silent - it felt like time had stopped as the dew that was frozen in the air crunched underfoot, the only sound to be heard across the winding forest. The biting pain on my leg was numbed now, and I supposed I had the cold to thank for that, as well as G. Looking up at my 'knight in shining armour', I smiled, nestling my head in his chest. His expression was hard, stony, but softened at my movements. He probably didn't know I noticed, but I did. I noticed a lot of things, like the smoke on his breath, the dark marks beneath his eyes, the way he regarded me as if I was a precious glass ornament, afraid to drop me or lose me again. I noticed the way his soul beat slower, how the scars in his bones seemed deeper than the last time I saw him. I noticed more than I wished to, more than I would like to admit.

It felt ethereal, other-worldly to be in his arms; I didn't think I would ever see him again, let alone be in his arms travelling back to the city, back to my home. We were safe now, safe, and the thought was unsurprisingly comforting as I thought back on the events of the past few months, or according to G, years. I couldn't believe it, to be honest. The very idea made my heart tremble, and I could only focus on how blessed I was that G hadn't forgotten about me. That would have killed me, I know that much. But G could not speak for the others: Papyrus, Toriel, Undyne, Asgore, Alphys (although I didn't know her too well)? My head felt heavy with the dark thoughts of their fates- where would they be now? Four years were mere months to me, but for them? I couldn't imagine it, I didn't want to.

"Hey, we're nearly there, you can sleep if you want to." G's gentle voice put my quaking thoughts to rest, and I exhaled slowly, my eyelids drooping.

"Thanks.. G.." I managed to get out before I finally succumbed to the overpowering waves of slumber.

----------8-9----------------

My dreams were filled with the empty silence of something forgotten, as I gazed around the darkness, bewildered at just how foreboding this place was. Everything was alright now, I was safe! G and I were safe!

So why did I feel like it was the opposite?

I waited for the childlike cackle of an old enemy, but was graced with none such laugh as the mist curled around my translucent dream-body. That should have comforted me, that I was finally free from the villainous clutched of Chara, but I felt much more scared, much more anxious for what would come after.

What would come after, exactly?

The question hung stale in the air, and suddenly a presence filled the eerie silence.

Not an old enemy, but an old friend.

"Danger is coming my dear, that is what is coming after." A deep resonant voice filled the expanse, and as I twisted and turned, I realised it was coming from everywhere. It was literally the mist, surrounding me, just out of reach. I soon recognised it, however.

"Gaster?" My voice was like a breeze, but was carried through the air echoing against invisible walls and ceilings.

"You must prepare yourself, Y/n," Gaster continued without answering me, but his words only confused me instead, "You must prepare yourself for an important decision, for it is only yours to make."

"I don't understand." I frowned, turning my head when I felt like I had found the source, only to be confused again.

"You will soon. Heed my warning, and do not despair. Your mind is strong, your soul is stronger." The words became frayed at the edges as I realized I was slowly being woken up.

"Prepare yourself." Gaster's voice became muffled, his final words echoing like a foreboding prophecy in my head. Slowly, I felt myself being pulled from the dream-scape, everything becoming a blue before fading into darkness.

And then I was woken up.

"Y/n? Are you alright?" G's voice invaded my thoughts as I groggily sat up, more or less recognizing the area around us as the edge of the forest. Bleary eyed, I looked up at G who was glancing down at me, the usual smile vacant from his expression as he straightened and looked across the edge.

"What's wrong?" I questioned, following his gaze. What I saw froze the question in my throat, made my eyes widen and all movement halt as I couldn't help but stare out at the City.

"Somethin's happened." Was all G said, his voice dry and quiet, edged with fear.

Before us, the world was on fire.

Plumes of smoke arose from several houses across the valley, the malevolent lick of fire appearing every now and then to spite the attempts to extinguish them. As far as we could see citizens were in a panic to get closer to the centre of the city, the only audible sound the cries of fright and the loud crowds desperately trying to escape burning houses or drag their families to safe places.

"What the hell happened?!" I cried, unable to tear my gaze away from it all. The closer the house was to the main entrance of the city, the more ruined it was it seemed. However, the city was huge; I could only squint to try and see the main gate. My line of sight swiveled over to the largest building of them all- the Capital Building -which seemed to be the centre of panic. Crowds were pushing in the main road, shops closed and stalls over turned.

It was exactly like it was four years ago.

I glanced at G who seemed to be stunned into silence, his gaze unwavering and unflinching as he drank in the commotion. 

"We need to get down there!" I said, which seemed to bring him back down to earth. There was fear in his eyes, like back in the Void with Chara. It looked marginally different though- it was a helpless fear, like he couldn't do anything about the chaos that was ensuing.

"G, come on! Let's go!" Panic edged my voice as I ungracefully staggered down the hill side, the snow providing no traction as I slipped down to the chain-link fence. My leg was throbbing painfully, but I tried to ignore it as I greeted the fence, my ideas coming to a standstill as I regarded it in disdain.

Footsteps sounded behind me, and G was at my side with his fingers linked on his thigh.

"Jump over." He suggested, his eyelights flickering down to my injured leg as soon as he made his idea vocal. I nodded bravely, and used my uninjured leg to get over. I landed with a thud and tried to go into a roll, but instead twisted over my leg. I grimaced, squeezing my eyes shut for a moment. Another thud sounded and G was towering over me with a pale hand out.

"You okay?" G spoke, concerned, as I accepted his help. I smiled and nodded, turning to the streets with a fleeting determination to just move, somehow.

"Wait, doll." I stopped at his demand, my head turning back. "Let me help." I was about to protest, to say I didn't really want to be carried again, but G did something different, stooping low and wrapping his hands around the deep scar in my leg. Yelping in pain, I braced myself on his shoulders, not sure what to expect. Was he going to squeeze my leg or something? Make me sit on his shoulders? The possibilities were endless, but unlikely.

Suddenly, every single drop of anxiety and pain were wiped away as a tranquil warmth enveloped my leg. I looked down to see amber magic coating my leg and seeping into the skin. After a few seconds, G removed his hands and stood, watching my face for a response. I place weight on my leg, and was glad to find it easier to use, although the numb pain was still present.

"You didn't have to do that." I smiled shyly, finding myself extremely close to G as I gazed up at his expression.

"I did, doll. Believe me." He almost whispered, taking my chin in his thumb and index finger and pressing a cooling kiss to my chapped lips, sending a shiver down my spine when we parted. The look in my eyes must have been ridiculous as G grinned, taking my hand in his.

"Let's go." He said, his tone laced with a serious feel as he looked down at the street, the fires dying but still yearning to burn, to destroy.

"Let's." I nodded fiercely, and began to stride down the street, G mere footsteps behind me.

------------8989898----------------0101-------------333-------------