28. Finale?!

Chara's terrifying roar of defiance boomed in my ears and I nearly stumbled against the literal waves of anger that seemed to be rolling off of her at that moment. However, I held my ground adamantly, gripping my sword with everything I had. This was it- this was do or die, kill or be killed, or maybe even... Save or be saved?

She shot up out of the darkness and dived at us like a bird of prey, glowing magical knives rotating around her, a cloak of murderous fury. With a flick of her finger they turned and arched through the air, leaving us barely anytime to dodge them. On instinct I swung my sword out, incinerating two of the knives with a satisfying clang, and I immediately looked back at G with an icy sense of fear in my heart. I could breathe again when I remembered he could take care of himself, and he was showcasing that perfectly. 

G stood valiantly, shooting out balls of amber magic that eradicated the rest of the knives. As if it was natural to him he then proceeded to conjure up a dozen glowing bones, directing them at Chara who was high in the air, hovering by the power of red magical masses under her feet. Somewhere in the back of my mind remembered how those bones were directed at me all those years ago- but it was a fleeting thought as Chara brought me back to Earth. She snarled, gnashing her teeth with fearsome desire for blood, for death. By the way she was looking at us, I could sense that she really wanted our heads as decoration in her living room. Do magical child-villains even own living spaces? You can't blame me for not knowing the answer to that one, I tell you. 

She clicked her fingers with a startling snap, and in the air materialized four large glinting knives that immediately cut at us, bearing a stronger ferocity than the last. Their dangerous points chased after me as I dodged and ducked, gasping when one of them slid easily through my hair. I quickly glanced down and sure enough, there were jagged locks of my very own hair lying meekly on the ground. 

Okay- she just made this personal. 

Growling, I leaped and turned back to my perpetrators. I huffed, sprinting forward and conjuring foot holds that I leaped onto and sprang off through the air, slamming my sword into all four knives that clanged raucously at the touch. Blue sparks engrossed the fiery red that seemed to be swarming the atmosphere, and I returned to the ground with a thump.

With every second that passed by Chara seemed to be getting increasingly infuriated at the lack of blood on the scene; I however, was very glad that I had not yet been gutted. My chest heaved but I bravely ignored it, raising my sword and slashing it valiantly through the air. A sharp trill bounced off of the weapon and dark blue rays of magic peeled off the metal, arching across the dusty ground and surrounding Chara like an angry pack of wolves. She seemed confused for a moment, but soon recovered just before the rays enclosed around her and exploded, the harsh sound ringing in my ears. I already knew that wouldn't be enough, but when Chara rose again she barely looked frazzled; instead a chilling smile was engraved into her ghostly features, and I couldn't ignore the rough thumping of my heart in my chest. I was moving my hands before my brain could register what was happening, and the sword disappeared from my hands, leaving a blue-purple aura about the space left. 

Magic coursed through my body as I flexed my fingers, and looking down at them I watched in awe as blueish circles surrounded my wrists, rotating slowly in different directions. I grinned, taking a stance as G settled beside me. I didn't have to look to sense his powerful magic radiating off of him, and by the way his amber flames sparked and danced with a confident rhythm, I was assured. In surprising synchronization we leaped forward, the circles rotating around my wrists thrumming with magic, with power.

I flicked my index fingers and curved my arms through the air, spinning as we neared Chara who unsheathed a lenghty glowing sword and sliced the very air, dust floating away where she had attacked. In an instant blood red daggers ejected from the darkness and dove at our bodies. On reflex G spread his bony fingers and an amber shield appeared from nowhere, swallowing the daggers with a cacophonous boom. I tried not to notice, but he looked tired, and as I stilled, I recognized the familiar onslaught of fatigue beginning to cloud my thoughts.