8. A Glimmer Of Hope

A quiet but sharp knock to the door pierced through my cloudy thoughts, as my head jolted, the cigarette falling from my hand and to the floor. I cursed, stamping it out with a heavy bang. The door swung open, and there stood Matthias, smiling nervously.

"What the hell is it now, Matthias." I growled, rubbing my eyes exhausted.

"I-It's y-your friend, boss!"

"Gonna have to be a bit more specific." I snapped, watching him flinch. Inside me, a minute sliver of hope shone, but it was soon extinguished as Matthias checked himself-

"T-The fish lady!"

"This early in the morning.." I murmured, rising from the sagging couch and scooping up my jacket from the floor. Immediately I noticed two white pills sitting on the side and grimaced, but silently thanked Grillby for his consideration. Without him I'd probably be in even worser shape than I was now.

"I'll be down in a minute, so scoot." I waited for him to scamper off nervously as usual, before gulping down the pills with some water. Placing the jacket on my shoulders, I slowly meandered down the stairs, my boots thumping on the wooden steps. The door was wide open, and there stood Undyne, leather jacket, hard stare and all. Matthias had obviously gone to the back room, giving us privacy. "Ain't two visits a week a bit testy, Undyne?" I raised a brow-bone, standing before her.

"Geez, you look nice." Undyne wrinkled her nose, looking at me up and down. I rolled my eyes and folded my arms, displeasure evident on my face.

"What do you want?" I spoke, ensuing a battle of the glares.

"Asgore wants you to come to the Royal Guard training area and see your skills." She replied, her steely glare unwavering. Her foot tapped impatiently against the concrete.

"Hell nah. I told him I ain't gonna join the 'Royal Guard'." I shot back, making air quotation marks with my fingers.

"You don't have to. Just come down, do some crap, and then you can leave. I'm sure you don't have anything better to do." Undyne challenged, knowing of my... adventures, outside the capital. I set my jaw, silently agreeing that indeed, I didn't have anything better to do. Maybe some training would get rid of this awful headache too.

"Fine. But if there's any word of it, or if Papyrus or Asgore piss me off, I'm out." I warned her, stepping forward and letting the door slam beside me. I heard her sigh beside me, but she placed her hand on my shoulder, saying nothing. I glanced at her hesitantly, words unable to form in my mind, so I shook off the weird feelings and reluctantly teleported to the capital building  grounds.

It was the same as usual; monsters casually walking to and fro, with the streets being uncomfortably congested. Like the few weeks before, Undyne led me up the steps and through the doors, despite the fact I knew this building inside out and knew where exactly to go, assuming we were going there. 

A courtyard sat behind the building, expansive and rich green, with several other buildings leading off, one of them being the training center for the Royal Guard. Now-a-days, Papyrus was the chief in command, but Undyne still held the title, and was still a part of the organisation, just less so. She was too good a leader to quit or be fired, and too good a fighter at that. Papyrus certainly committed more time and effort to his pansy job, but Undyne was recognised as the leader of the Royal Guard, like the face of it. Over time, she decided to spend more time with Alphys at the lab than wear her set of armour, basically.

The transparent doors slid apart as we approached the center, and once we were inside, Undyne jogged down the steps which opened out into a large room with boxing bags hanging from the ceiling and even weights lining the walls. Other training equipment was placed around for trainees to use, and indeed, there were a few walking around or exercising in the room.

Undyne was already ready to go, having quickly changed into a black tank top and dark grey Japanese styled trousers. "Asgore and the others will be here soon, so go get changed in the changing rooms over there." She pointed with her finger to a doorway where, indeed, the changing rooms were. How thrilling.

I rolled my eyes but went to change all the same. I was lucky to have brought a tee with me, so in a few minutes I was ready to go, wearing my black jeans, a black t-shirt, but without the infamous jacket.

"Black is my happy colour." I mused silently.

Turning the corner out of the changing rooms, I spotted Asgore and Papyrus along with some others standing at the base of the steps, the King talking to Undyne. Taking a much needed breath, I walked out towards the group, catching their attention immediately. Suddenly I felt very bare without my usual clothes, and the several pairs of eyes on me didn't help.

"You look weird without the jacket and turtlenecks." Undyne smirked, tightening her scarlet pony-tail.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." I sneered, all whilst not knowing where to put my hands. I settled with shoving them in my pockets hastily.

"Now, let us not be unpleasant, G-Sans." Asgore smiled. He said my name robotic-like, as if he wasn't used to it. I couldn't really blame him; all the people here who had met me before knew me as just 'Sans'. "We would like to test your 'battle prowess and fighting skills, if you please. No magic will be used, thank you." I raised a brow as he finished, looking at us expectantly. 

Side stepping to the center of the room, I scratched my head, confused. "What the hell does he want me to do-" Suddenly, Undyne was throwing punches and I was ducking and jumping from side to side, surprised.

"The hell?" I yelped as she valiantly round-housed.

"Fight me, you moron." She sniggered, stepping back and raising her fists in front of her face. They wanted me to fight Undyne? Glancing to the group, they were waiting expectantly, some looking bored, some staring at the floor. I rolled my eyes, and raised my hands, balling them immediately. I watched as Undyne smirked, rocking from heel to heel. "That's more like it." And then, I was punching and kicking, ducking and jumping. It came naturally, but it felt slightly strange without magic as a tool. However, I was just as good a fighter without it as when I was with it. All those days and nights of journeys outside the capital paid off, I supposed.

Suddenly, Undyne had pinned me to the floor, holding my arm bent behind my back.

"Focus." she demanded, her yellowed eyes staring down at me.

"I am." I hissed, hooking my leg around her neck and throwing her back. Now I was straddling her, much to her annoyance.

"Focus, Undyne."

"Alright smartass, I think they're satisfied." She shot back. I glanced up to see the group bubbling with chatter. Asgore had a strange smile on his face, as if he was remembering something. Undyne shoved me off of her quickly, brushing herself down. I set my jaw, watching as he approached us, his purple clock rippling with regality behind him.

"Thank you for your compliance, G-Sans. Thank you also Undyne. You may leave, if you wish." As if he thought I was gonna stay. I looked behind him where Papyrus caught my gaze. His hard stare was glazed over as if he too was remembering something, but it was gone in an instant as he swivelled on his heels and walked out of the door to the courtyard. So much for that glimmer of hope.

"My pleasure." I replied dryly, beginning to turn before Asgore spoke again-

"It was nice to be able to see you, on less hostile terms," He smiled, "Perhaps the future could be so."

"Don't count on it." I replied before I could stop myself, killing any hope left in the room. I turned on my heel and trudged back to the room, feeling the familiar feeling at the bottom of my stomach. The less time I spent here, the better.

It brought back too many memories, and too much hope to fortify.

-------8----------------------------01---------------3--------