Chapter 20

Today was the day that Daisy gets to find out the gender of the baby. She was so excited that she was up, showered, and dressed before I was even awake. When I walked downstairs to get some coffee, she was at the stove frying something in a pan. I stopped in my tracks, confused and shocked. Daisy NEVER cooked. NEVER. Yet, here she was in all her pregnant glory, COOKING.

"Good morning, Daisy." I say, hesitantly. My sister turned around with a cheerful grin on her face and her free hand resting on her bumped out belly. She was wearing a pair of navy blue leggings and white and grey striped, over-sized maternity shirt. She was only four months pregnant, but refused to wear anything that wasn't maternity, so I had to go on a rather large shopping spree with her yesterday. 

"Good morning, Hay. Want some pancakes?" she asks just as cheerfully. I poured myself a mug of coffee as I eyed the frying pan at the surprisingly perfect pancake. I raised and eyebrow and leaned in closer to the pan to get a better look at it to make sure it wasn't from McDonald's. 

"Since when do you cook?" I ask. My sister would've gave me a smug look but instead she just gave me a laugh. What was wrong with her?

"Oh Hayden, you're forgetting that I'm older than you. Mamma taught me everything before she taught you. I was just too uninterested in doing it, unlike you." she tells me. I raise both of my brows this time in nod understandingly. Made sense to me. Daisy serves me a plate of four pancakes, already buttered, and I drown them in syrup. I take my plate and coffee upstairs to my room so I can get ready while eating. 

As I shovel in the shockingly delicious pancakes into my mouth, I pull on some denim caprice that roll just under my knees and a white t-shirt. I really didn't feel like showering twice today so I just pulled my hair into a bun at the top of my head and walked into a cloud of perfume. When I go downstairs to return my dishes to the sink, I find my sister sitting at the table, crying. Gotta love the mood swings. I sigh and walk over to her and put my hand on her back. 

"What's the matter, now?" I ask. She looks up at me with red, teary eyes and her mascara just barely running. 

"Hayden, what if it's a girl? She's going to hate me and not want anything to with me. She might turn out like me and just pack her bags and leave and try to forget everything and everyone at home, and try to do things on her own for once. Oh, then what if it's a boy? What if her turns out like Jeff and is manipulative and distant? Oh, Hayden. I don't know if I can raised a baby." she cries. I take a deep breath and try to find the right words to say to an emotional pregnant woman that had a point to both her statements. 

"Daisy, you just need to take a deep breath, and remember that this baby, regardless of the gender, will be the greatest thing that will ever happen to you. You might not see it yet, but I for one already have. You're already more responsible and considerate, and social with your family again, and now that you have us in the picture to help you, this baby will be the light that this family has needed." I tell her. Her lips curl up in a small smile and she sniffs and blinks away the remaining tears in her eyes. 

"I just don't want to disappoint my child like I disappointed Mom and Dad, and you." She says, avoiding eye contact with me. I carefully push back the stray hairs in her face and smile. 

"Oh, Daisy. You didn't disappoint us. You just, confused us is all. We never really understood why you decided to be the way you were. But I forgave you, and I'm sure Mom and Daddy would have, too. Family builds each other up, not tears each other down." I reassure her. I bend down and hold her shoulders in my arms, my chin resting on the top of her head. She hugged me back and wiped away her tears and smeared make-up. 

"Thank you, Hayden. For everything." She tells me. I smile to myself and rub her arms comfortingly. 

"Of course, Daisy. Now, let's get going. We have a gender to find out." I tell her. Daisy stands up and straightens out her shirt. I quickly bend down so that my face was right in front of her little bump.