Chapter 53

It was a Monday morning and I had just come out of my first lesson of the day, Geography; I was walking with Lilly and Amelia to my next lesson when I caught a glimpse of Ethan amongst the crowds.

"Ooh guys I'll catch up with you in a bit." I called over my shoulder to them as I headed towards the other end of the corridor where Ethan was stood with his friends, casually leaning against a wall, laughing loudly; I weaved my way between the bustling bodies as I headed towards him.  

I slowed as I neared them and I awkwardly came to a stop in front of the group of boys; they noticed me and Ethan smirked as he looked me up and down; it was rather surreal and for a moment things felt as if they had gone back to the beginning for us. Ethan's friends looked between us before bidding their goodbyes and sauntering off.

"Hi." I chirped happily as Ethan looked back up from my body and into my eyes.

"Hey." He replied, his voice sounding husky and sexy.

Without thinking I stepped forwards and threw my arms around his waist, bringing him in for a tight hug. Ethan's body tensed at my sudden actions but he soon relaxed and wrapped his arms around my upper body. I felt warm and comfortable being held by him and I inhaled deeply, his familiar scent filling my nose. I felt happy and in complete bliss for a moment then.

I stepped back from him, biting my lip in apprehension as I did so. Was my choice to hug him too bold? Have I scared him? Did I come on too strong?

For a moment we just looked at each other and I smiled at him before blushing and awkwardly looking at my feet; I returned my gaze up to find that Ethan was still looking at me.

"I - uh - just wanted to thank you again for the present." I said smiling like an idiot.

"It's no problem at all." He replied quietly as he looked at me intently.

"No but really, thank you so so much... It means the absolute world to me." I gushed

"Like I said babe, it's no problem." Ethan replied.

"B-but how did you get a signed copy made out to me?" I asked, still in total disbelief of Ethan's kind gesture.

Ethan chuckled slightly and reached his hand back behind his neck. "Well - uh - long story short, when we were together my cousin won tickets to a meet and greet with John Green and I knew how much you loved him so I arranged for her to take a copy and get it signed for you. Once I got it I wanted to give it to you for your birthday and I - um - knew how much it would mean to you so even though we weren't together I still wanted you to have it." He explained sheepishly and I could've sworn I saw his cheeks tinge pink, which was odd to see compared to his usual composure.

I continued to smile at him like an idiot and I couldn't help but lean in and hug him again, this time he immediately brought his arms around me and I felt him rest his head on top of mine.

"Thank you." I whispered against his chest.

"You're welcome." He replied almost as inaudibly.

I pulled away from the hug and looked up at Ethan with a cheeky smile playing upon my lips. "You know I never knew you were such a softie." I jeered playfully with a giggle.

"Whoa Fran don't say that out loud, I have a reputation of an asshole to hold up here." He answered in mock panic, causing me to laugh even more.

"Oh yeah sorry, I wouldn't want people to know you actually have feelings." I retorted teasingly before moving backwards to walk away. Ethan chuckled at me and shook his head as I turned on my heel to walk away from him, but not before throwing him one final glance over my shoulder; Ethan was watching me walk away and, due to an unknown sudden surge of confidence, I sent him a flirty wink before walking away.

Wow where did that come from?