Chapter 4

The next two lessons flew by rather quickly. The lunch bell rang and I swiftly made my way from my English classroom out into the corridor so I could meet Paige as I had promised her I would go with her to see Mrs Burrow, the head of Sixth form.

As we were in our final year of GCSEs we now had to make the decision as to whether we remain in school and study A-Levels or we go to college. I had my mind pretty made up: I wanted to be a Primary School teacher and I had for as long as I could remember. Extensive research on my part had revealed that there are no specific subject requirements for a degree in teaching meaning I had a fair amount of flexibility in my subject choices. I had decided on studying English Literature, Geography, Psychology and Religious studies as these were my favourite subjects.

Paige on the other hand, was about as far as you could be from a final decision on what subjects she wanted to take. It was for this reason that she had been asked to see Mrs Burrow for some careers advice.

I turned a corner in the corridor and Paige's hand grasped my forearm, pulling me into a big hug. I put my arm through hers as a sign of reassurance and together we headed off to the Sixth form office.        

It took us about five minutes to walk to the front building of the school, once there we had two flights of stairs to climb. We reached the second floor and came to an abrupt stop outside of a large red door with a old and dirty looking sign on it reading:

Sixth from Office

Please knock before entering.

Paige looked at me hesitantly, her teeth we're gritted together and she looked rather unsure. I sharply rapped my knuckles against the door. For a moment we heard nothing, then a sort of shuffling noise, then the door burst open and a very flustered Mrs Burrow stood there smoothing down her long, navy skirt.

Mrs Burrow was a large woman with ferociously red cheeks in the middle of her creamy white face which was framed by a light brown bob cut and a meticulously blunt fringe that lay flat against her face. She had lines beneath her eyes and between her eyebrows when they were furrowed, nobody knew hold old she was however an educated guess would be in the late forties.       

"Alright, which one of you is Paige Wright?" Mrs Burrow asked in a rather high pitched voice that sounded almost strained as she looked us both up and down.

"Uh um that'd be me... Hi!" Paige's usually confident facade had melted away leaving a stuttering nervous mess. I squeezed her hand and smiled at her, her attempt to reciprocate this was very forced and unnatural.  We both stepped forward to enter her office.

"Oh  I assure you Miss Wright will be perfectly fine in my company, you can wait for her out here." Mrs Burrow's voice was full of enthusiasm that in my opinion sounded somewhat artificial. Paige shot me one last terrified glance as Mrs Burrow ushered her into the room and shut the door in my face.

I had no idea how long Paige would be but I was sure she wouldn't want to return out here and find me gone. I decided to stay put and seated myself on one of the three chairs that were pressed up against the dingy cream wall of the short corridor that housed the Headmaster's office, the finance office, and the Sixth form offices.

I let my bag fall the floor and leant back in the chair. My eyes flickered along the walls, scanning for any posters that looked to be of interest however most of all seemed to be about STDs and Exam timetables. I sighed in frustration and crossed my arms.

I could hear footsteps approaching up the stairs and before I could react I was greeted by the messy blonde hair and steel grey eyes of Ethan. Brilliant. Just brilliant. Once he saw me the familiar smirk he always seems to wear began to creep across his face. Damnit just stop smirking for one moment.