Chapter 5

The next day I woke up face down on my bed, still in the clothes I had been wearing last night. I hadn't gotten much sleep because the boys hadn't left until nearly 12:30 and just as I was drifting to sleep my father came home from work at 2:00 and woke me up.

I rolled off of my bed and staggered down stairs. Given my current state of drowsiness I decided on a steaming cup of coffee. I walked into the kitchen and saw my father was stood by the hob, he looked like he was making pancakes.

"Oh good you're up, I was just about to come and wake you." He smiled at me brightly. "Pancakes?"

"Yes please! What time is it by the way?" I had forgotten to check my clock when I woke up.

"Just after ten. Also Paige rang about half an hour ago, she asked if you wanted to meet her and the others for coffee this afternoon, they're meeting by the clock tower at 12:30." My father looked back to the pancake mix he had just poured into the pan.

"Is it alright with you if I go and meet them?" I always felt it necessary to ask my father's permission before leaving the house because I remember, one time, him telling my mother that 'this house is not a hotel'. At the time I was seven years old so I didn't really understand but now I do.

"As long as you've finished your homework" My father's voice now sounded stern. I have never thought my father to be a strict man but he has always raised us to believe that a good education is our greatest asset.

"Yep I finished everything off yesterday." I smiled at him cheerily to set his mind at ease.

"Good girl. I'll make us some coffee in a minute. Can you go and wake Dan please, these pancakes are almost done." He said.   

I nodded my head and skipped off upstairs. I stopped outside Dan's room and banged loudly on the door not stopping until he wrenched it open glaring at me under heavy eyelids.

I beamed at him. "MORNING!" I exclaimed in the most sickly sweet voice I could muster. He continued to glare at me. "We have pancakes downstairs so hurry up." I spun on my heel to go downstairs, the only thing I heard was a load groan from Dan in protest of being woken up.

~

"Guess who I saw?" Paige screamed excitedly before engulfing me in a strong hug as I approached her and the girls outside of the clock tower in the middle of town.

"Well hello to you too!" I remarked sarcastically as I hugged her back; Paige scoffed at my remark and then barrelled onwards.

"Ethan. Beadle." She said with as much emphasis as possible. "Ugh he is one fine looking boy."

"I would!" Lilly chirped in whilst giggling.

"Me too." Amelia added with a cheeky wink.

"You guys come on he is still a person, you don't have to objectify him every time we talk about him - which can I just say is a lot because he's all we seem to talk about these days!" I said seriously.

"She has a point." Ella interjected wisely.

"Thank you Ella." I said cheekily as I wrapped my arms around her.

"Fran's right, why are we talking about Ethan when we could be talking about those hot guys over there who just walked round the corner!" Ella squealed excitedly. I sighed loudly and rolled my eyes.

"You guys are boy literally the only things you ever think about?" I asked exasperatedly.

"Yes!" They all answered matter-of-factly.

Oh. My. God.

~

I was walking down the humanities corridor in school, it was the middle of lesson three so the hall was empty, except for me. Mr Wallsdon, my geography teacher had asked me to go to the staff office and collect a stack of books he needed for the lesson.

It was cold along the hall so I wrapped my arms around myself for warmth. I felt warmer almost immediately but when I looked down I saw another pair of arms wrapped tightly around my waist. I felt a warm breath tickle my neck.

"You're freezing love." The voice was soft and familiar. I turned my self around in his arms and looked at Ethan. His eyes were dark and intense looking. There were only a few inches separating our faces now. My breath caught in my throat as he began to lean in. His lips ghosted over mine...

I woke with a start. My eyes flew open and my breathing was erratic. I was dreaming about him again, this was the fifth time this weekend. I looked over at the clock sat on my bedside table, it was 6:20 am and it was Monday morning. Ugh.

I decided to get up as there would be no chance of me going back to sleep now. The last moments of my dream were replaying in my mind. I marched to the bathroom, turned on the shower and jumped straight in under the cold spray with the hope of distracting myself from the any thoughts on Ethan Beadle.