Chapter 36

I woke up the next day and things seemed to have returned to normal as Dan and I were on speaking terms again.

The morning passed by at its usual, torturously slow pace and finally the lunch bell rang loudly signalling the end of the lesson and I slowly gathered up my things.

The bell rang loudly signalling the end of the lesson and I slowly gathered up my things

I came out of my lesson and began to weave between the mass of people as I headed to lunch; there was a loud buzz of excited chatter bouncing off of the walls and it was growing louder. I rounded the corner of the corridor and stopped in my tracks.

The noise was coming from a crowd gathered around two people who I couldn’t quite see over the tops of everyone in front of me. Excited whispers filled the hall and I tried to weave through the hoards of on-lookers to get past but my efforts failed.

“...You bastard how could you do that?” A voice snapped, I recognised it instantly as Dan’s – then that must mean the other person is...

“Whoa mate calm down!” Ethan’s voice came out steady and strong.

I pushed my way through the crowds and stopped as I reached the front. Dan and Ethan were stood at full height and were up in each other’s faces. I felt movement next to me and looked to my left to see Carrie, Dan’s girlfriend, with a scared look on her face.

 “No I will not fucking calm down mate.” Dan roared. “That’s my sister you screwed over and you don’t even care.”

“You don’t know anything so shut the hell up.” Ethan spat.

Carrie shot me a worried look and without thinking I quickly ditched my bag and ran towards Dan and Ethan.

“Are you trying to tell me that you actually cared about her because I find that very hard to believe.” Dan growled. Something snapped inside Ethan and he took a step closer to Dan.

Everything then happened so fast.

Just before I could reach them, Dan pulled his arm back and threw a punch at Ethan with an almighty force that caused a loud smack to echo through the halls as his balled fist connected with Ethan’s jaw. Ethan’s head jolted to the side with the momentum of the hit and he brought a hand to the point of impact, I saw him wince slightly as his fingers connected with the already reddening skin. Ethan glared at Dan with angry eyes; he took another step forwards and clenched his hand, ready to retaliate.

Without thinking I threw myself between my brother and my ex; I reached up and wrapped my hands around Ethan’s balled fist which was now raised and I looked deep into his eyes.

“Ethan please don’t do this.” I begged desperately, Ethan tried to pry his fist away from my hands and move me out of the way but I pressed myself closer to him in an effort to get him to step back.

“Please.” I whispered as I looked into Ethan’s now almost black eyes.

Ethan opened his mouth to respond but he was cut off by the booming voice of a very angry Mr Greenland who was now stomping towards us.

“What on earth is going on here?!” The teacher roared as he stalked in our direction. “I want every one of you out of this hallway now!” He barked. “Except for you four.” He said darkly as he eyed Dan, Carrie, Ethan and I.

The crowds around us dispersed quickly and Mr Greenland turned to face us.

“Mr Watson I think you’d better come with me to the headmaster’s office after that little punch you threw at Mr Beadle there.” Mr Greenland snapped at Dan before ushering him away from us, just before he turned the corner Dan shot Ethan a cold glare over his shoulder.

I moved my hands off of Ethan’s fist and stepped back from him.

“He doesn’t even know what he’s talking about.” Ethan mumbled under his breath.

“He does.” I whispered.

“Well of course you’d go running off and tell Dan wouldn’t you.” Ethan spat.

“Excuse me?” I gasped angrily.

“Are you really that terrified of dealing with your own problems that you have to bring your brother into this mess?” Ethan snapped irritably as he rubbed his jaw line which had turned red around the area where Dan had hit him.

“Oh so you’re really going to lecture me about involving other people in things – need I remind you that you’re the one who made a bet with your friend about me?!”

“You know I knew you would throw that back in my face.” He muttered darkly.

I don’t know what came over me. His words cut deep into me and without thinking I raised my hand and slapped him across the cheek. A curt smack sounded throughout the hall

“Miss Watson you can also join your brother at the headmaster’s office I think after that little display.” Mr Greenland mused from behind me. I turned around to face him; he must have come back from taking Dan away. Damn it.

“I didn’t think you had it in you to do that.” Ethan whispered as Mr Greenland stepped closer to me.

“I guess you didn’t know me as well as you thought.” I murmured dismally.

“Mr Beadle you can join us too!” The angry teacher said in a surprisingly calm tone as he took my arm and began to pull me away.

“What?!” Ethan gasped.

“Don’t think I didn’t hear your remarks to Mr Watson before he hit you, I know that you provoked him so you can join us too.” Mr Greenland snapped as he started walking me away and reluctantly Ethan skulked after us.

Great.