Chapter 12

I knocked lightly on the front door of Paige's house. She lived in a small two up, two down in the centre of town. Outside the front of Paige's house was a small, well kept garden, that was peppered with small potted plants. The house itself was made from beige stone and was looking slightly off colour. The front door was a loud purple, chosen by Paige's mother who's flamboyant personality matched that of her daughter's.

The front door swung open to reveal Paige standing there in her superman pyjamas with a huge grin plastered on her face.

"Fancy seeing you here!" She said raising her eyebrow. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Could I just hang out here today? I know you're sick but it's just that me and Dan had a bit of an argument this morning." I asked sheepishly.

"Sure thing honey, as long as you tell me everything that happened!" She said, grinning excitedly.

"Well you're in for a treat then because I went to a party last night as well." I mumbled before realising what I had said, I bit my lip in apprehension - would she be jealous that I went without her, even though she was sick?

"What?!" She squealed loudly. "Oh my God you have to tell me everything!" She screamed, dragging my in by the arm and up to her room.

~

I was sat cross legged opposite Paige on her bed shoving a spoonful of cookie dough ice cream into my mouth.

I'd spent the afternoon at Paige's house, after telling her every last detail of this morning and the previous night. She'd spent the whole time I was talking staring at me intently, her eyes wide with excitement and a smile playing on her lips.

I told her about James. I told her about Grant. I told her about Dan. Eventually after spending the afternoon engrossed in gossip, magazines and ice cream I decided to tell her about my feelings for Ethan.

"Uh Paige..." I started "This is probably gunna sound really weird because I've only know him a short while and I haven't spoken to him all week..." I paused, considering what to say next. "But I, uh, think I like Ethan." I finished by looking at her hesitantly.

"I knew it!" She answered confidently with an all knowing smile.

"You did?" I asked in question. I had only just become aware of me feelings for Ethan, so how could she already know?

"Of course. It was obvious!" She replied plainly before launching into explanation. "Whenever you spoke about him you had a goofy grin on your face and whenever you saw him you turned as red as a tomato!" We both giggled. "At first I just thought that you thought he was hot, I mean who wouldn't!" I rolled my eyes. "But then when you were talking about how disappointed you were that he didn't show last night it just all made sense to me."

"Well thank you for enlightening me, oh wise one!" I said, choking back laughter. Paige leant forwards and wrapped her arms around me, pulling me into a tight hug.

"So now we just have to figure out how you can get him!" She whispered excitedly in my ear.

~

I walked up the road towards our house. It was 6:30 now and it had gotten dark, the temperature had dropped and I shivered lightly. Approaching our house I noticed James' car was parked out the front.

Pulling my keys from my pocket, I proceeded up the driveway to the front door. I jammed my keys into the lock of the front door to our house. They jangled about loudly as I forcefully twisted them, growing agitated when they appeared to be stuck. With one final click the door unlocked and I pushed it open gently, shutting it quickly to get away from the cold.

I put my keys on the side table next the door and shrugged off my hoodie. I started walked towards the kitchen but stopped when I heard muffled voices in the front room.

"...He's got his eye on her." I recognised that as James' voice. What?

"Ugh God! He's such a tool!" That was Dan. I wasn't sure who they were talking about at this point.

"Yeah mate, I know, but come 'on this is Ethan we're talking about, you know this is just what he does!" James sounded like he was pleading. So they're talking about Ethan and some girl. My heart sank a little at the thought of Ethan seeing someone else.

"Yes I know but this is my sister we're talking about. I feel like I should just punch him straight in the jaw for even thinking about her!" Dan sounded annoyed. I heard one of them heave a sigh. They were talking about Ethan and I. Me and Ethan. Ethan who I have been thinking about none stop for the past week. Ethan who has a reputation of being a heart breaker and a player. Ethan who is my brother's best friend. Wow.

"Look all I'm saying is look out for her okay, you don't need to punch him and I don't think you should say anything to him about this either, it'll probably just spur him on even more." James said.

"What the hell's the supposed to mean?" He replied angrily.

"Nothing, just forget I said anything. I should probably be getting back now anyways." James said calmly.

"Yeah OK mate." I heard the shuffling of feet as they got up and started to leave the room. I backed up a few paces to give them space to walk out of the room. James glanced at me as they walked out.

"Hi!" He said, grinning. I returned with a smile. Dan brushed past and opened the door.

"See ya soon mate!" Dan shouted as James began down our driveway.

"Bye!" James called over his shoulder as he walked away.

Dan was stood there, one hand on the door handle, the other wedged into his pocket. He turned around and kicked the door shut with his foot. He was wearing a hoodie and a pair of sweats. Looking at me, he sighed loudly. I smiled at him guiltily. He shook his head, walked towards me and pulled me forwards into his embrace.

"God you can be stubborn sometimes - you definitely get that from Mum!" He said, chuckling softly.

"I'm sorry about what I said." I gently whispered.

"Me too, can we just forget about it?" He asked, stepping back to look at me.

"Yeah. That'd be good!" I replied, nodding my head eagerly.

"Also we probably don't have to mention this to Dad either." Dan offered quietly. Despite my reservations about him at times I know he cares about me and I honestly couldn't ask for a better brother.

"Thank you." I replied quielty with guilt and shame lacing my voice.

"Great, well it's just us for dinner tonight so while I go and find something for us to eat how about you go and find a film to put on for us?" He said, smiling brightly at me.

"Sure thing!" I replied, smiling just as brightly.

~

I crawled into bed at 10:30 after spending the evening with Dan watching films. I tied my hair up loosely and pulled on a pair of sweats and an old band t-shirt of Dan's. I snuggled under the covers and shut my eyes. My body begged for sleep but my mind was still reeling from what I'd overheard earlier. 

Ethan's got his eye on me. He actually likes me... Why though? Of all the girls he could be with, why me?

I shook my head and rolled over onto my side. It took me a long time to fall asleep.