[One]

Audrey

Audrey

New York City – February 18th, 2016

The 38th Street Diner was Audrey's spot. Her own little slice of Heaven. She spent a lot of time in there working on homework, reading or just people-watching out the large windows in front. New York City was a big illustrious place, but she always kept pretty local. She grew up there and for the most part, she'd seen it all.

As she sat at the corner table by the window with her tattered copy of Pride and Prejudice perched between her fingers, her eyes trailed up over the book as the bell on the door jingled when a new patron walked in.

She almost thought her eyes were deceiving her. She thought she was losing her mind. Her heart immediately sped up and all the blood rushed to her face as she watched the guy walk toward the counter and sit down.

Audrey was literally losing it. It couldn't be. It just couldn't be.

She stared at the back of his head full of bleached blonde hair, praying she would get another glimpse. She had to know if it was him. When he covertly turned his head to survey the people in the restaurant, she got a good look at him. Their eyes even met for a split second and her breathing caught in her throat. She could have choked on air had she been breathing.

It was Niall Horan – widely known as the loveable Irish cutie from the band One Direction – a band Audrey followed since 2011. She was twenty-one years old and still caught a lot of flak for supporting their band. But she would back them forever. They were on an extended hiatus after just releasing their fifth album Made in the AM and many fans left the fandom thinking it was the beginning of the end for the band, but Audrey was still loyal. And in that moment, there was nothing in the world she wanted to do more than meet the one and only Niall Horan.

She had to take a few deep breaths to relax herself enough to build up the courage to actually approach him. She didn't want to be one of those rabid fans that ran up to them, gnawing at their legs. She wanted to be casual. She wanted to actually make an impression. Stuff like this doesn't happen every day.

Audrey quickly packed her book into her purse and threw it over her shoulder as she stood up. She took another deep breath and moved toward the front counter.

"You looking for your check, Audrey?" George, the diner owner, asked her as she approached.

Her focus was solely on Niall and she was totally thrown off by George. Her eyes shot up to the loveable plump man with the thick New York accent who she'd gotten to know well over the years. Out of her peripherals, she saw Niall look in her direction and she immediately felt her cheeks blush.

"Uh... not quite yet," Audrey said, smiling pleasantly at George.

"Oh. Well, can I get you anything else?" He asked her.