Chapter 44

"Hey, Case." He greeted with a small smile as he shuffled on the spot where he stood.

"You were great up there," he sounded hesitant, as if he was unsure whether or not it was the right thing to say.

I smiled weakly at him, "Thanks."

I hitched the bag higher on my shoulder and gritted my teeth as I started walking towards the door. I've always thought that the throbbing kind of pain was the most annoying one.

"Here, let me help you with that," Adam offered as he took my bag from me. Normally, I would've protested because I was annoyingly stubborn like that but with the state I was in, I didn't have it in me to argue about something so insignificant.

I had my keys in my hand as I clenched my hands into fist, the feel of the keys digging into my skin helped clear my mind from the immense pain I was feeling with every movement.

I walked with Adam, out through the back door. I was finally able to ask him the question I had been wanting to ask when we got past the doors to the small building.

"What are you doing here, Adam?" I asked him, zipping my jacket up to provide warmth against the stinging cold.

"I came to see you."

I started staring at him like he was crazy. It's been a long time since anyone watched my fights. Levy used to be there for me before I found out he was a treacherous asshole.

"Why'd you do that?" I asked him softly, unsure of what to think of this.

"I don't know. I guess I figured that if you were doing all this to keep us safe, might as well show up to cheer you on, you know?" he shrugged and I felt my heart swell a bit.

Maybe the old Adam was still in there. The Adam I love.

"Well, thanks. But you don't need to do that any longer." I stated, smiling at him. He looked at me with a questioning look, seeming to be puzzled.

"What do you mean? I thought there was still another fight you have to go through?"

"Well, the guy up that I fought earlier was the guy that threatened me so the next fight won't be about protecting you guys since I beat him already." I told him as I continued to lead the walk towards my bike.

"That's great! That means you don't need to fight anymore? Can't you just drop out of the fight?" I nodded slowly. It was possible to simply quit.

"I could but I won't," I told him quietly as I swung my foot over my bike and sat on top of it, pushing the key into the ignition.

"What do you mean?" Adam asked me, laying his hand on top my arm to stop my movements before pulling it away hastily.

I sighed, fiddling with the strap on my helmet.

"I made a promise to myself that I will win that competition. I need that prize," I stated softly, not looking at him in case he decides to call me an idiot for even thinking about continuing to fight after knowing that it might destruct my whole life.

"Look, I started this whole mess. I'm going to finish it. That guy from the fight? He only threatened me because I flipped his brother's life upside down. I entered the fight voluntarily. Yes, I might've been reckless and an idiot, I might've not known the consequences of my actions but what's done is done. I started this and I'm going end it." I told Adam. I could still see that he was confused even though I gave him the outline of why I was so determined.

I sighed inwardly. "I'll explain everything but first, let's get out of here." I told him as I kick started my bike's engine and took the duffel bag from him.