Chapter 42

Afterwards, Adam and I parted ways. I let him have the space he probably needed right now and rode back to my house to grab the things I needed for school. 

I know that school should probably be  pushed to the back of my mind with all these life and death situations popping left and right but my parents paid a hefty tuition fee so I might as well make the most of it while juggling the death threats as best as I could.

Funnily enough, my pride might get bruised if I saw a grade lower than an 80.

I guess the nerd personality doesn't just wear off when high school ended.

I had some notes to catch up on and read over but I personally thought I was doing better than most would, considering the circumstances.

I switched my bike with the car instead when I got home and tried to pack up a school bag to start my day on time. I tried to cover the bruises on my face with some concealer but a swollen eye is very difficult to cover so I tried to work with what I could. I had a lecture in another half an hour and if I acted like the hellhounds were on my heel, I'd make it there on time with  a few minutes to spare.

The day passed quickly, I mostly ignored everyone and focused on catching up with the materials I've failed to grasp from dealing with the various distractions. It felt as if my university life had been put on pause and it would only resume when I've dealt with the pressing matters in my life.

My day went on as uneventful as possible which was a relief to say the least. When everything else in your life seemed to be exploding into flames, it was relaxing to have at least one thing remain plain and boring.

I sent a silent thanks to the man above when I got through the day with no one taking notice of the limp in my walk and minded their own business without questioning my swollen eye.

When the day ended, I decided to get some more ice cream to lift my mood further.

I stopped by the convenience store to grab myself some Ben&Jerry's. It was the same store where I met the old lady that was accompanying the kids I first saw with Cole, the murderous big brother.

I've been thinking of the different questions I can ask the woman regarding Cole to maybe find his weakness. I was barely pulling through this competition and even though I was already in the semi-finals, I need to beat another guy before I could win this competition and if Cole was pulling through the finals too, I clearly shouldn't be underestimating him.

I almost died during the last competition and I've gone this far, I can't fail at the last minute.

I pushed open the door to the store and made a beeline to the fridges at the back of the store where the ice creams are. I was scanning the contents of the fridge, finding my favorite flavor when I heard a set of joyous screams from a few kids. I saw the newcomers from my peripheral vision and immediately tensed.

The old lady and the kids I saw with Cole walked in through the door.

'I guess it was my lucky day after all,' I mused to myself as I grabbed a tub and walked towards the old lady.

"Hi, how are you?" I greeted her with a warm smile. The lady looked up and mirrored my smile.

"I'm sorry, I don't think I introduced myself properly the last time we met," I began, trying to start the conversation soft so she'll feel comfortable with me.

My parents had always told me I had a charm when it came to the elderly.

"My name's Sandra," I offered her my hand and she took it, still smiling at me and introducing herself as Lionett.