Chapter 32

You have got to be kidding me. The irony of this situation is unreal.

She's the ex of my dead brother and there stood Preston, someone who just told me I was basically his little sister, dating her.

God, why does the universe hates me so much? What did I ever do to you?

I took cautious steps towards her. I honestly have enough shit on my plate right now so if she wants to start a public drama, I'll just walk out this place before she can even utter a single word because I really cannot handle that kind of bullshit right now.

To my relief, Madison chose to ignore my presence for the time being and greet Preston instead, kissing him on the cheek and giving him a quick hug before sitting back down and scooting further into the booth to make room for Preston.

I let Cali take a seat in the booth first and got Pio a high chair to make an easy escape route for me if needed. I cleared my throat and decided to look at Preston for some needed answers. He was dating the bitch who decided it was okay to blame me for my brother's death. My brother. It wasn't like I wasn't already blaming myself. I did not need her egging that guilt on.

"So, how did you guys meet?" I asked after Preston introduced all of us, forcing a smile for the sake of theatrics while silently losing my shit under the facade I was putting on.

"Why don't we order some food and drinks first before we get into that?" Preston suggests and after a minute, I grudgingly agreed and put in our orders. After we had that out of the way, Preston cleared his throat and started talking. His hand was slung across Maddison's arm and I was subtly cringing from all the memories I had of seeing my brother doing that to her.

"We met in the supermarket. She dropped an egg on me and I flirted my way through to her." Preston smiled cheekily. My grudge against Maddison melted for a second when I saw how happy he was sitting there beside her. I wondered if I should tell him that Maddison and I already knew each other but I didn't know how to tell him. Fortunately, Maddison apparently got that covered for me.

"Baby, um, there's something you should know," Maddison trailed off as her gaze flitted towards me for a split second and Preston followed her eyes, frowning in confusion.

"Cassandra and I are actually high school friends." I snorted and rolled my eyes. Friends is an overstatement of what we were. I decided that I might as well rip off the bandaid when Maddison gave me a glare at my snort.

"She used to date my brother," I bit out, trying to keep the fact that she tormented me and blamed me for his death to spare their relationship. I doubt that Preston would still see her as the same person if I told him that. I didn't forget about the time that Maddison actually stood up for me against Sonia once when Sonia had me cornered with all the student body watching us, I owe Maddison one for that.

Preston's eyebrows shot up through the roof as his gaze moved between me and Maddison.

"Well this is awkward." He muttered out and I didn't know why but I started laughing. Maybe because awkward was probably a major understatement of what we were currently experiencing.

"Can I talk to you quickly outside?" Maddison looked at me and I nodded slowly, getting out of the booth and walking out of the cafe. When we were both outside, we walked to the side of the cafe and Maddison started talking.

"Listen, I can't apologize enough for what I've done to you after what happened to Bryant. You didn't deserve that and I should've been there for you instead of against you. Bryant loved you and he would've hated me for what I did to you. I love Bryant and me dating Preston now doesn't change that. He'll always be a big part of me and I really am sorry for the things I've said to you. Of course it wasn't your fault Bryant died. It wasn't your fault." Maddison was full out sobbing and bawling her eyes out by now and I was wiping a few tears that escaped my eyes.