Chapter 35

"Case!" I turned around and saw my parents waving me over with huge grins plastered on their face. I could feel a mirroring grin breaking out on my lips as I ran towards them and launched myself onto their figures.

"How was your flight?" I asked them when they finished giving me hugs and kisses. I took my mom's bags from her hands and pulled it behind me towards where I parked the car.

"Oh it was wonderful, there were no kids kicking the back of my chair this time and I could sleep peacefully throughout the flight." My mom giggled at my dad knowing that having his chair kicked continuously all throughout the flight was one of the things that can irk my dad.

"How have you been, honey? Nothing interesting while we were away?" My mom smoothed my hair as we walked down the rows of parked cars.

I shook my head, giving her my best smile. "Same old," I lied to her confidently. If she knew what's been happening lately, she'll freak so hard I fear she might faint.

I helped my dad putting the luggage in the trunk, a dejavu feeling overcoming me as I remembered the last time we did this. It was the day I told them about Adam being my boyfriend. I unconsciously smiled sadly as I remembered paying him a visit and my dad offering him some durians.

I quickly shook my head and that cloud of thought went poof. I got in the driver's seat and started driving home while listening to my mom ramble about their trip and how much she'll hate the next trip. They'll be going on Sunday and today was Monday. For once, I was glad that they wouldn't be home for so long because it'll lessen the effort I need to put in to sneak out to the fights. I hated lying to my parents and I was horrible at it. I'll start going to college tomorrow too and that means I can go home late by saying I have a study group after school.

An hour later and I was pulling up at our driveway and putting the car on park. We got the luggages out and rolled them into the house. I let my parents rest since their flight was a pretty long one and decided that I wanted to try to make dinner tonight.

Adam had taught me a few things about cooking before the accident happened and I was positive that I knew enough on how to not burn the kitchen down. I'm sure that making the food taste good wouldn't be as difficult as cooking safely but just in case I decided to call Monic up and make her help direct me on what to do.

"Case! It's been so long! How's everything going?" Monic gushed as she picked up the phone. I laughed into the phone at her greeting.

"Everything's fine Mon, I just need your help." I answered her, bringing some pans out of the kitchen cupboard and setting two of them on the stove. I decided that I wanted to make some spaghetti because I figured it was the easiest thing I can make with the ingredients I have in my fridge.

"Are those pans I hear?" Monic sounded genuinely scared and I couldn't blame her. She knew of my tragic cooking skills and she was one of the people in my life that has always tried to steer me away from the kitchen in fear that I will destroy it.

"Yeah.." I trailed off, knowing that she'll probably refuse but also knowing that I don't have anyone else to turn to. Monic's cooking skills weren't up on the chart but it was edible and it can taste good at times.

"I need your help cooking spaghetti," I rushed out and before she has a chance to refuse, I quickly added in, "I'll get you anything you want." There was a pause from her side before she asked me cautiously.

"Anything I want?" I smiled at her question, knowing she couldn't see me and knowing that she wouldn't refuse.

"Anything." I got her now.

"Okay, deal."

I did a victory dance before getting out the ingredients set on the kitchen countertop.