Chapter 43

My bruises didn't heal as quickly as I wished they would but thankfully, it didn't hurt as much anymore. I prayed that the adrenaline that I get every time I'm in the rink would be enough to numb the pain that came with any abrupt movements I make.

I was doing the semi-finals today. The roaring crowds threatened to burst my eardrums as I shuffled from foot to foot and shook my hands to shake the nerves away. I was so close to the finals and ending this once and for all. I'm so close to a life where I can be free from all this violence.

Just two more fights and I can close this chapter once and for all.

When my nickname was called, I climbed the steps to enter the ring and this time, I took the decency to glance at my opponent. Only what I saw wasn't what I was expecting.

There, standing a few feet away from me, at the other end of the ring, was Cole.

He had a murderous glint in his eyes as he watched me like a hawk.

I had to do a double take when I saw him. I was expecting a stranger.

I took the time that was given to assess his state.

He looked as beat up as I felt, no doubt from the past fight he was in. But he was standing here, right in front of me, so that showed more than enough of how capable he was.

He narrowed his eyes at me.

"What kind of name is Pixie?" He sneered at me and I shrugged, trying to pull off an unflinching reaction to his attempt at insulting me.

I decided not to answer him and simply tried to gather my thoughts instead. Nothing changed from my plan.

I'm going to beat him and win this competition, giving him the prize to help him support the kids financially.

I got into position, facing Cole.

When the bell rang, I felt like I was in a cage with a bull. Cole charged at me without holding back. Anyone watching probably thought that he was simply an aggressive fighter but I knew that he was making this personal.

I felt the adrenaline running in my veins and and I steeled myself. I've learnt from the fight I was previously in that it was better to stay detached, to be void from any emotions when I'm fighting.

Feelings will only cloud your judgment and give you a disadvantage.

I narrowed my eyes at Cole as I sidestepped him before he could grab me and tackle me to the ground. He stumbled as he regained his balance and turned towards me.

He let an enraged cry as he ran towards me again and this time I mimicked his movements and charged towards him. I bent down as I ran and my significantly shorter height did me a favor as I barreled into his lower half, catching him off balance and sending him tumbling onto the ground.

I didn't give him a chance to regain his balance as I started kicking his ribs and then his face. I didn't want to get on top and start punching since his built would undoubtedly give him the upper hand and he'll easily flip us over. I kept kicking until his hand shot out and grabbed my leg, pulling it from under me. I landed on my back on the floor, a grunt escaping my lips as I struggled to suck in the breath that got knocked out of me.

Cole raised his foot and as soon as I saw it coming down on my face, I quickly rolled over and got on my feet.

That was way too close.

He was quick for a guy his size. I backed up a few steps and we started circling each other. I narrowed my eyes at every move that he made and I tried to pinpoint his weak spot.