2. The Present

I haven't been home to England for ten years, not since my parents were killed and I became my uncles ward. Every year I had asked to return but permission had not been granted till now and only after I had fought for it. I knew he loved me in my parents absence but I was frustrated.
School was over, there was no further education he could shove me into, I was twenty one and he couldn't make me do anything now.

The plane I was on entered the private arrivals area and the staff readied for the approach of customs who would check our details before we disembarked. I had my uncle issued passport and I knew he was sending staff to meet me, I knew the drill as it had happened all over the world for the last three years but never here, never home in England.

Getting clearance I left the plane and walked towards the waiting black car, freezing for a moment as the doors opened to reveal my escorts home, damn he had to send them.
I glared at the trio in front of me, five years older than me the Masters triplets were my nightmare, every time we met they wound me up, acting as if I was a pampered princess and hating escorting me, I had tried being nice, I had even tried being rude and whatever I did they mocked me for it, but carefully so uncle did not see,
as they were part of his security team.
It didn't help they were hotter than hell, all of them and they knew it, they had that built in arrogance that many in the secret service have ingrained as part of their training, they were the elite.
I wished I could show them that my uncle had ensured that I was just as trained as them, so I could look after myself but only if my protection failed but uncle had insisted that my training remained a secret.
Knox held open the back door as Kade took my case from the steward putting it in the boot, whilst Kier watched the surrounding area.
"Get in the car August" Knox prompted.
I gritted my teeth and saluted him "sir yes sir" sliding into the vehicle.  I hated they were one of the few who were allowed to use my real name. Knox scowled back at me before shutting me in and coming round the car to join me, the others got in the front and we were off.
The silence in the car was tense as we quickly made our way out of the airport, nobody stopping our vehicle and soon we were on the M25 heading north.
I could feel eyes on me and fidgeted in my seat until it got too much and I looked up catching Kier watching me.
"What?" I asked.
He averted his eyes saying nothing.
I looked at the scenery passing and suddenly noticed a road sign.
"Where are we going"
No reply.
"Knox! Where are we going" I repeated.
"Nothing for you to worry about Princess, just a little detour" Kade said from the front.
"Why, what's happened, is uncle okay" I panicked.
"Stop worrying, we know what we're doing, just sit there" Knox growled at me.
I reached into my bag for my phone but Knox snatched it out of my hand, holding me back as he quickly removed the battery and sim.
"Knox, what the hell, give that back"
"No"
I unclipped my seatbelt and grabbed for the phone seeing red at his behaviour.
"Bloody hell August sit down" Kier shouted from the front as I struggle with Knox.
"A little help guys" Knox groans as I elbow him in the stomach.
"Hold her still" Kade tells him twisting round a syringe in his hand which he quickly jabs in my arm.
"You bastards, that wasn't necessary" I growl at them feeling the drug take effect and I slide into darkness wrapped tight in Knox's arms, dark laughter the last thing I heard.
It was getting dark when I finally came to, I was alone in the car handcuffed to the door handle, I looked out, it seemed we had stopped at a services, I could see the back of one of them leaning against the front of the car..Kier, scanning what I could see I reached for my bag laying at my feet and pulled out a pick, quickly freeing myself from the restraints, moving silently I switched off the interior lights and reached for the door handle pausing when I saw the keys in the ignition.
Hah what amateurs, changing my plan to make a dash and find a lift, I climbed over to the front and hit the central locking button, the resulting click echoed like a gunshot and made Kier jump and turn, seeing me in the drivers seat. I turned the key and gunned the engine reversing out of the space, hearing Kier shout at me trying to make me stop, I spun the wheel avoiding him and raced out of the car park, watching Kier reach into his pocket for his phone.
I took the first exit sign and drove fast knowing it wouldn't take them long to give chase, I was on the M8 heading towards Glasgow and I just needed a small head start to disappear, I had been trained but this was the first time I was putting my practice to the test.
Slowing as I moved into the more built up areas I followed the signs for the train station pulling up in the drop off area and grabbing my bag and case from the boot, I locked the car and threw the keys underneath it, there was no sign of my phone but being without one was not a bad thing at the moment, not till I was safely away.
I brought a ticket and carefully followed the directions for the train to Edinburgh, I knew I had passed at least one camera, possibly more, but followed the path, getting on the train and walking down before pulling a hat out of my bag and changing my jacket and leaving the train and crossing to a train about to leave, I had no idea where it was going but didn't care as long as they thought I was on the Edinburgh train.
My train rumbled south towards Carlisle and I settled back thinking over what had happened, I needed to get hold of uncle and stay invisible to triplets.
I smiled lightly to myself, that would teach them, they underestimated me. This thought was chased by another for the first time in years I was free, I could do and go where I wanted to, no one knew who I was, no one knew where I was....wow I should enjoy this whilst I had the chance.