14- The dresser

Days flipped by, which slowly turned into weeks and months.

I was fast approaching the end of the semester. My last semester. Besides the overwhelming pressure of the semester exams, there was something else that the students looked forward to.

The farewell party or let's just say— the unofficial fashion walk.

Except this time, the farewell came three months too early, so that the poor students got ample time to crap themselves in their final battle.

Was I looking forward to it? Not really. I mean what was there to look forward to in an event that would end in leakage of tear glands. Moreover, my only close girl-friends in the entire college would be absent. Their own farewell was falling on a different day since the college hall could accommodate only two batches of students. Poor me!

One day something happened that made women wanna drop their pants. Excited whispers were heard around all the corridors I passed by. It was like a virus that seemed to be spreading throughout the college. Was a superstar visiting our campus? I plugged on my earphones, least bothered by the gossip.

Needless to say, even Ayesha and Khushboo were affected by it. When I replied ‘I don't know’, they literally screamed.

“Are you kidding me, girl?! You should be the first to know.” Khushboo shook her head in dismay. She pressed my shoulders with her hand, forcing me to look into her twinkling eyes, “Our juniors are going to organise... a cue in the drumroll please— A couple dance!”

“Yes, yes, the kind where a man and woman dance to a waltz. It rarely happens in India but it's happening at our Uni. Do you know what that means, Nat? Do you effin know what that means?!” Ayesha asked excitedly, closing into my private bubble as well.

“What?”

“Rithik!” Both of them raised their voices in unison, making my illogical heart skip a beat.

They fangirled over how romantic the whole set-up would be. Khushboo became jealous because my (fake) boyfriend studied in the same college, while hers didn't. They told me it was the perfect chance to invite Rithik and confess my (fake again) feelings.

I crossed my arms, defensively. “No way in hell!”

“Why not? Khushboo asked, crestfallen. She cupped my cheeks, trying to appear calm. “Sweetie, I know you're bummed about not celebrating the farewell with us but it's fine. If you invite him, you'll have something to look forward to. As for us, we'll have our own farewell. We'll dress up and go to a faraway place. Let's go to Mahabaleshwar then. How does that sound?”

“Splendid! You better not fall back on your word, Boo. And Natasha, you better attend that bloody ball or prepare to say bye- bye to our trip.” Ayesha threatened me and I rolled my eyes.

The whole torturous lunch break went on and on with the girls trying to convince me while also making separate trip plans. My answer went from not attending the University farewell, to attending it, to thinking about inviting Rithik.

Which I wouldn't, of course.

Things were already messy between us as it is, I didn't want to contaminate it further.

The upcoming Friday, I visited Rithik's secret chamber, hoping he wouldn't pick up the subject of the farewell party. However, as I stepped in the room, he wore a sickening smile like he was upto something. I frowned.

.

“Don't put on all of your clothes. I got something for you.” He told me just as I was about to put on my leggings. Before I had the chance to ask, he dragged me by my wrist to the side that held a mirror. I narrowed my eyes at the reflection of him behind me. Instead, he lowered his lips to my ear, “Now stay still— I'm going to blindfold you.”