11- The night rider

The cool, night air hit my face as soon I stepped outside the club. I rubbed my arms, shivering and gazed at the densely populated road before me. A few motorbikes dashed by, leaving a loud buzzing noise in their wake. I was just about to cross the road towards the park on the opposite side when I felt a strong arm circling around my neck, slightly blocking my windpipe.

“I thought I made it very clear when I told you to stay inside the club, didn't I?” Rithik said, his voice strained as he continued to keep me under his grip. Though his grip wasn't that strong but in my present state, it made me feel nauseous. I managed to utter a strangled 'yes' while trying to wriggle out of his grip but no avail. “Do you even watch the news?”

His arm pressed onto my neck, making me choke. His grip loosened immediately when I started coughing. He apologized profusely while I took that chance to jab my elbow to his chest.

“I'm very well aware of the dangers of the night, thank you very much. By the way, I learned this from one of the self defense videos I watched.” I panted as he hugged himself, groaning in pain.

~

“Hey, heeey, how long it will take? If we keep walking like this, we'll suurrrely reach Kanyakumari by morning.”

“That's your imagination running wild. It's just beyond this street.”

“But my imagination always runs wild.”

“Of course. I know that better than anyone...”

That's how our conversations went as we moved forward, tiring our legs out. I thought he was taking me to his humble abode for the nasty but instead, he took me to a place I was yet to know. It certainly felt weird to have his eyes watching me like a hawk. I didn't know why he was doing what he was doing, until I staggered in my step and he gripped my arm. He didn't let go even after I assured him I was okay. I really was. He just wouldn't believe me. We kept walking and walking until he stopped in front of a small building, whose front was covered by a movie poster.

I raised my brow, expecting him to answer his intentions. Instead, he grinned and took my hand, dragging me inside. I began to throw tantrums— Pretending to leave, acting sleepy and all but he didn't falter. He was my ride back home. Did it look like I had a choice?

I went along, scowling.

Five minutes later, we were seated in the dark, empty cinema with a late night show running on the big screen. It was a Marvel movie. I said empty hall but there were five people seated far away from us, which didn't make much of a difference if you ask me.

“Come oon~ drop the drama queen act already. See, I even bought what you wanted, all for free.” He pushed the paper container, filled with popcorn to my side of the seat. The smell of butter and popcorn wafted my nostrils, urging me to take a few bites. “That's more like it. Here's your burger.”

I held the burger between my palms and leaned further back, making myself comfortable. I inspected the burger with my best of observation skills before taking a bite. It tasted just like always. I felt a little better now. “I don't get it. How come the counter man gave you everything for free? You bought so many things for yourself, too. I understand he knows you but that's no excuse. Money is money, just like sex is only sex.”

“We have our own settings going on, you see. It's okay, you females wouldn't possibly understand,” He replied, patting my head like I was a dumbass. I swatted his hand away.