Chapter Eighteen: Time Spent Apart

Only a few days after Robin's transfer from Arsenal to Manchester United and Elena found herself alone in their bedroom watching her husband on television; the children long since having gone to bed. 

Elena had found that the moment that Robin had transferred that there was a lot of anger from the Arsenal fans; she'd had to stop using social media because of the hate mail and death threats that she had been sent. 

Elena had been taken back about the amount of messages that she had received and had decided that she should concentrate on the impending move to the Northwest that was coming up; she was a little surprised that the fans blamed her for Robin's decision to leave Arsenal behind. 

Elena had started packing to make sure that they had everything before they moved to Manchester since she didn't want to forget anything; she glanced at the television which was playing Manchester United's match against Everton. 

Robin had started the match on the bench and Elena had to admit he looked good in his new jersey even if it was a little strange to think of him playing for the club. 

Folding the last of the ironing, Elena sat down on her bed and sighed as she watched the match, she couldn't help but wonder how he felt about playing for a different club; she smiled watching Robin take to the field 68th minute for the first time. 

Everton was currently leading one-nil and there were only twenty-two minutes left to play; the brunette knew that Robin would be calling her when he got the chance after the game. 

Elena lay back on their bed watching the match, she wanted to be able to talk about the match with her husband when he called her; however the next thing she knew there was a ringing making her groan as she answered the phone. 

"Sorry did I wake you?" Robin murmured softly while Elena yawned and looked at the clock it see that it was one o'clock in the morning; it had been about half nine when she had been watching the match.

"I just got back to the hotel and I wanted to hear your voice," Robin whispered knowing that she had probably been asleep; he felt guilty for waking her up, she was seven weeks pregnant and she needed to rest. 

Robin knew how much work Elena was doing back in London, it was a big job to get everything packed away before they moved to Manchester and it didn't help that he wasn't there to help her out. 

"It's okay," Elena murmured softly rubbing the sleep from her eyes, making Robin smile as he lay back on his hotel bed, he would give anything to be at home with her and the children. 

"I miss you," Elena mumbled sitting up, she stretched as she moved to lean against the pillows; she turned the television off when she saw that it was only teleshopping on the channel now. 

"I miss you too and I'm narrowing down the search for a house," Robin reassured making Elena smile at the thought of being with him again; she missed him more than anything and she couldn't wait to be reunited with him. 

"How's the morning sickness?" Robin asked concerned, he regretted not being able to be there for her now that the pregnancy was slowly progressing. 

Robin would have done anything to be with her right now, they had been married for the same amount of time as her pregnancy and he was worried that something might happen. 

"I'm fine Robin," Elena said with a tired smile, the couple had been working on things and they had to admit that things were going well for them now that they were on the same page.

***

Walking through south hill park gardens with Shaqueel and Dina, Elena smiled trying to keep her mind focused on the two children; she had decided to treat them to a day out since they missed Robin. 

"Elena?" called a voice making Elena frown before she turned to see her ex-boyfriend, she hadn't seen him since she they had ended things; she couldn't believe he had the nerve to approach her like this. 

"Lucas," Elena replied stiffly picking Dina up while Shaqueel glared at the man that was approaching them with a smile on his face; he didn't know what was going on but he didn't like that he was so interested in Elena. 

Lucas swallowed looking between the children then back at his ex-girlfriend, he had never liked children and he couldn't understand why these two seemed so attached to his Elena. 

"How have you been?" Lucas asked stepping closer to Elena, she wondered what he wanted since they hadn't ended on the best of terms and she didn't know why he had decided to stop her to speak with her. 

"I'm good thanks, I'm married and we're moving," Elena mumbled making Lucas nod softly watching her closely, he regretted dumping her for another woman; she was the best thing that ever happened to him and he had been such a fool. 

"I have to go, goodbye Lucas," Elena said taking Shaqueel's hand, it wouldn't look good if she was pictured with her ex-boyfriend; she wasn't going to risk her marriage with Robin for someone like him. 

"Goodbye Elena," Lucas mumbled watching as she turned and led the two children away leaving him behind; Ashlee appeared and stood next to him, she glared at the retreating form of her friend knowing that she couldn't believe how happy she looked.

***

"So how's house hunting going?" Nemanja Vidic asked sipping on his drink, Robin glanced at him as he put his phone back into his pocket; he wished that he could be with Elena and the children right now. 

"I have a viewing on Wednesday," Robin replied making Nemanja nod while he watched Robin closely; it was hard being away from the one that you loved, his own wife was currently away in Malta visiting her sick mother with the couple's twins. 

"I hope that you find somewhere you like," Nemanja said taking a bite out of his sandwich; Robin nodded his head thinking about Elena back in London. 

Nemanja patted Robin on the back and smiled at him, he could see that the Dutchman was missing his wife and children; something that would be made better when Robin found a home. 

"Rio's decided to throw a welcoming party once the transfer window closes," Nemanja revealed making Robin choke slightly on his drink; he looked at his new captain who chuckled and nodded his head for him to continue talking. 

"It'll be a bit of a meet and greet for the new signings and their spouses," Nemanja reassured making Robin nod as he thought about what this meant for him and his wife, more people that they would have to lie to about how this had all started. 

Robin signaled for the bill as the two men prepared to leave, he knew that he would have to warn Elena about the party so that they could prepare for it together; he didn't want to make her feel like she had to do anything. 

"So did you fancy catching a movie or something? I don't fancy heading back to an empty house yet," Nemanja asked making Robin nod gratefully at him, he didn't want to be alone in his hotel room either. 

The two men left the restaurant after they had paid for the meal, Robin sighed as he spotted the press waiting for them and he doubted that they would leave him alone.

###

Author's Note:

I do not own Roxanne and her family, they belong to MrsVidic. Check out her story to learn more about Roxanne Vidic.