09.

I stared at the simple envelope with A'melia's name written on it, the letters were rather spreaded and they were a slanted to the left almost as if they were italicized. I opened it and the evelope contained a plain pink card.

The card said "feel better baby girl."

I shook my head in disbelief. I automatically knew this had to Kentrell trying to get me back on his goodside but I wanted nothing to do with him at this point. To be honest I think I wanted everything to do with Marlo. Then again something was telling me to stay away from him but I couldn't, I was an addict and he was my needle. Yes, Kentrell had the scoop every nigga around town which is another reason I wanted to keep my guard up around Marlo.

I dialed Kentrell's number so I could let him know to stay away. Gifts and cards weren't necessary.

"Wynnie what'chu wan-"

"Stay away from A'melia.. You can't just bring gifts and cards up to her hospital room. I want nothing to do with you!" I hollered into the phone them grabbed the large vase of flowers and tossed them into the trash can out in the hall. He sighed into the phone, "what'chu talkin' about you really blowin' my high?" He seemed completely clueless.

"You brought her flowers and a card Kentrell."

"I don't even know whea' y'all at," he replied and fear crawled its way up my spine.

I reentered the room and A'melia was watching cartoons on the large tv screen. "If you didn't bring them who did?" I wondered not really knowing the answer to that question. "Prolly yo ol' man," he teased referring to Marlo. Yet, I hadn't been in contact with Marlo since the whole incident between him and 'Trell.

I began to bite at the nail on my thumb. "Let me call you back," I announced and I exited the room going towards the nurses station.

"Um excuse me?" The nurse then looked up at me from the brightly lit computer screen. "Yes?" She replied while smiling warmingly. I pointed towards A'melia's door, "did she have a visitor today? If so, I'd like to know who."

The nurse nodded and began scanning through papers. I believed she was trying to find the sign in sheet.

"Yes she had a visitor but they hadn't bothered to sign a name," she informed while handing over the clip board with several signatures but one was missing. Could it have been Marlo? I wondered while becoming lost in my thoughts. This situation was quite strange. "Do you want me to check the cameras?" She asked me, knocking me from my thoughts.

I nodded, "please."

She gave me an assuring look and I went back to Melia's room. "Baby whp came to see you earlier while mommy was out?" I asked running my fingers through her lengthy curls.

She took a bite of one of the apple slices, "it was a man."

A look of confusion came about once again, "what man? Was it Marlo?"

She shook her head then looked at me, "he was a nice man and he told me not to tell you who he was.." She then looked back towards the tv. I gripped her arms sternly, "tell me what the man name was," I begged forcing her to look at me.

"He was in a wheely thing."

"A wheelchair?"

She nodded, "he was a nice man."

I stared at her in disbelief.

____

Kentrell.

"I thought ya' ain't want shit to do wimme?" I asked lookin' at Wynnie who was standin' infront of my door with a sleepin' A'melia on her shoulder.

"I don't have time for games, you going to let us in or not?"

I stepped aside and allowed her to come in. She walked straight towards my room, I sat on the couch finishing up a few pieces of crawfish I had left. Wynnie finally came back lookin' real disturbed. "What tha matta ugly?" I questioned wit a sly smile on my face. I kinda liked it when she was upset, that shit was sexy.

"I had to take her out of that hospital.. Earlier a man visited her."

I chuckled, "ooh a man, how scary? Prolly was one of yo hoes," I teased.

She looked more serious than ever and one thang I knew is that Wynnie don't play about Meli. "Who was it?" I asked decidin' to be a little more carin'.

"I don't know," she paced, "she told me the guy told her not to tell me.. And it wasn't Marlo since we aren't conversating at the moment... Marlo would ask out of respect anyhow." She sighed deeply and shook her head, "I can't leave her by herself anymore."

"How he get access anyway, didn't ya put certain names on a list?" I asked.

Wynnie shook her head, "no I didn't even though I should have, I just didn't expect anything like this to happen."

I stood to my feet and pulled my sweats up a bit, "maybe you jus' overthinkin'," I insisted. Wynnie was good at doin' that shit. It it was somebody who shouldn't be around I would most definitely do all I can to protect the both of them. I massaged my finger tips into her shoulders, "jus' relax."

"I'm trying," she breathed out unevenly.

"Try harder," I whispered leanin' towards her ear beginnin' to kiss at it. She suddenly pulled away a bit, "this isn't what I need Kentrell."

"Then tell me."

She bit at her bottom lip, "I need to get some rest," she patted at my chest and walked towards the direction of my room.

I stood there watchin' until she was no longer in view.