6. Break In

I fish my apartment's keys out of my bag and unlock the door. Throwing my bag on the couch recklessly, I then flip the switch to turn the light switch on, but the lights didn't turn on.

The lights did not turn on? It can't be a power outage since I just used the elevator and the building has a generator. Something's not right.

I suddenly shiver due to the cold wind, wait, wind!? What the heck? I haven't even opened a window in the apartment since I moved in. I look to my right and was not surprised to see the window open. Somebody broke into my house and I have a feeling they weren't here for money and they definitely haven't left.

Since I can't really turn around and give out I know about the situation I just do a quick scan using my glasses and sure enough, there are two more heartbeats detected apart from mine.

Okay, stay calm. What can I do? I threw my bag of weapons on the couch as soon as I got in and I can't get it since they'll probably attack.

I heard very quiet footsteps behind me so I swiftly turned around and catch the punch thrown at my face by the first man using my hand. I kick him right below his underarms and then with the same foot I kick the other guy in the gut.

I then flatten my hand and hit hard on the side of the first guy's neck, making him unconscious then elbow the other one under his ribs and hit hard on the pressure point on his neck. Both the inexperienced rival agents drop down to the ground.

I use the flashlight in my house and drag the two guys in the storeroom, duct tape and tie them up to separate metal chairs and lock the storeroom.

I then quickly cleared up all the mess, fixed the short circuit which was practised on my apartment's power source and immediately informed The Organisation about the break-in and asked them to turn the two men in for questioning.

-------------

I am wondering, is The Organisation dead or ignorant? I was waiting for them to take these two trespassers  from my store room but they haven't arrived yet. I think I'll just conduct the questioning myself.

I enter the room a few minutes earlier then I think they'll be conscious again. I see one stir and immediately straighten my back and have a hard expression to look intimidating enough for them to answer all I have to ask.

"Wake up, sleeping heads. I am getting bored of seeing you guys look so peaceful, it makes me sick," I announced and smirked when I heard them groan due to a headache forming in their thick skulls. I may or may not have intentionally spoken louder than required, I know I'm evil.

"Why you gotta be so annoying, woman? What did we ever do to you for you to do this to us?" The bulkier guy asked.

"Oh, you don't remember? Well, last time I checked the two of you broke into my house and tried to attack me. Wanna explain?"

"We didn't break in", the second guy denied.

"Sure, you just invited yourself in through the window, didn't you?" I sarcastically asked.

"We didn't mean any harm."

"Then what were you doing in my apartment without me knowing, hiding in the shadows and then attacking me?"

"Just looking around."

"I've had enough. You've left me no choice, every time you lie you'll be getting electrocuted and just warning you it stings," I warned. I had enough of this nonsense, either they give me the answers or I'm gonna force those answers out of them.

"We don't know-" I pushed the button on the remote in my hand and watch the two trespassers get electrocuted. "-AH!! A-are you cr-crazy?" They withered in pain.

"I'm not, I am just getting answers I need. Just answer what I'm asking and I won't have to do this, boys."

I turned off the switch and looked at them pointedly. "You do know that this was on the first setting, right?" I waved the device in the air.

"We aren't telling you any-" I switched it on with the second set "- AH!!" They both simultaneously groaned in pain. I don't enjoy this but when being trained in any spy agency you have to learn to only show sympathy to those who deserve it.

"Answer me!" I commanded with a demanding voice and the two whimpered in agony.

"F-fine, UGH! Mak-like it-t stop, please!" They managed to get out.

I finally turned off the device and looked at them expectantly while they caught their breath.

"We work for Damien Gray."

Hearing those words my heart plummeted to my stomach. What? Have blown my cover already?

"We were working undercover in The Organisation and we found out a spy was sent after our boss so we decided to eliminate you and failed miserably," they shamefully looked down.

"Does Damien Gray know about me?" Was the only thing I asked.

"Nobody knew your name. It wasn't there in the files or records, we just knew the address since The Organisation provides the residence. Therefore, you are still undercover. Damien knows there is someone after him but he doesn't know who it is or even where they, or in this case you live," they explained.

I seriously couldn't have been more relieved. My identity is still unknown, there are honestly so many people who joined the college, I can't be a direct suspect.

"Okay, thank you for your cooperation traitors. The most I can do for you is knock you out in the most painless way." With that, I pressed both of their pressure points on the side of their necks.

----------

The next morning I woke up looking like a walking zombie. I barely got any sleep last night because I had so much on my mind. I even closely studied Damien's mafia transfers and transactions to have an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Saying I am worried after my research is a major understatement. Dad was not wrong when he was worried. Speaking if which, I am so dead. I haven't called or even texted him or Cody in like 3 days. They must be thinking I died. Let's just call the him or he will seriously chop my head off.

I dialled his number and waited for the call to connect, as soon as he picked up I greeted him with a 'hi dad'.

"Hi, dad? That's all you have to say? What have you been up to, young lady? I remember quite clearly that we specifically mentioned for you to update us about yourself regularly!" He ranted. I didn't say a word, let him calm down.

"I've been kinda busy, dad. As of now I am friends with Christopher Gray, his best buddy and his sister. And then two men broke into my apartment," I calmly replied.

"WHAT!? Somebody broke into your apartment! Are you alright, sweetie?"

"Yeah dad, I'm fine. They are knocked out cold in the storeroom right now, since The Organisation hasn't arrived yet to escort them to the HQ."

"I know you long enough to guess you've already questioned them. So tell me, what'd they say? Who were they?" He asked.

"They are Damien Gray's men. They were undercover in The Organisation as spies. They found out an agent was after their boss and decided to eliminate that spy," I further explained to him how my identity is still a secret.

"Okay, that is good. Glad you're okay. What about you being buddy with the Gray siblings?"

"Yeah well, honestly they're great people from what I know about them which is not a lot cause I've only known them for one day, but when we hung out together they seemed cool. I haven't had any friends in years," I quietly said the last sentence.

"I know sweetie, I can't say I know how you feel but the only thing I have to say to you is, be careful Ashley," Dad sighed. If he uses my full first name it generally means it is serious.

"Don't worry dad. I'll be fine, I promise," I reassured him.

After exchanging quick 'goodbyes', I hung up the phone and got ready for my second day in college.