⪻ 36 ⪼

This chapter is dedicated to... stylesesx! Hope you enjoy xx

⪻⪻⪼⪼

"Annie, wake up."

...your parents did not survive the crash

"Wake up."

...you're adopted?

"I'm going to be late for school."

...you are fired

"Annie!"

Startled by the small voice, I sit abruptly in bed, thankful to be out of the dream state that my body was keeping me in. Through laboured breaths I come face to face with that of the small boy at my bedside, his arms crossed over his chest and a content expression on his face.

"I'm awake." I assure him, my breathing beginning to slow back to a steady rhythm.

"I'm going to be late." Edward tells me again.

Sighing, I pick up my phone from the bedside table, ignoring the few good morning messages from Harry. I vaguely remember shutting off my alarm at half six in the morning, only to fall victim to sleep until just now... at fifty past eight.

"Shįte!" I exclaim, throwing the duvet off my body to rush over to my wardrobe, leaving Edward standing at my bedside. "I'm sorry." Peering over my shoulder, I see his school uniform on his body already, with his tie lying haphazardly across his chest, but at least he was dressed. "Have you eaten?" I wonder.

"Yes."

"Good." I say, turning back to my wardrobe to grab the first pair of joggers I find, sliding them over my bare legs and underneath the oversized tee I wore to bed. "Go get your stuff ready to go. I'll be right there." Ushering him out of the room, I shut the door behind him, taking a breather for a moment.

Things weren't going to plan and for once I couldn't put on the illusion that everything was fine.

I've spent every morning pretending to get up and ready for work, dropping Edward off at school only to come home and send out my CV to potential employers. Lying to a five year old about my employment status is perhaps the worst thing I've done; behind lying to the man, that's been with me through it all, about my employment status.

The objective for today: shuttle Edward off to school and keep him from telling Harry about this fiasco of a morning. I don't know how much longer I can go with lying to Harry about everything, seeing as were scheduled for a night in tonight.

Until now, I was practically avoiding the man. Thankfully with Harry's work schedule and my furious search for a new job, times with Harry on our own were few and far between. I don't think he was on to me yet, but the plan was to find a new job before telling him about the loss of the other one.

We'll see how long I can hold out.

"Annie! Let's go!" I jump at the sound of Edward's voice.

Cursing to myself, I grab a random bra sitting on my floor and throw it on before tossing a light vest over my top. Purposely avoiding a mirror, like I am with Harry, I make my way out to Edward, grabbing my bag and our house keys.

"Let's get a move on. I'll fix your tie on the way there."

⪻⪻⪼⪼

"How was work today?"

I'm struggling. I've got no job and I've had no luck finding a new one. Apparently, the need for a twenty-two year old culinary arts graduate raising a five year old on her own isn't really in demand. On top of all that, I'm sitting on a sofa, facing Harry and practically lying to his face about everything.