⪻ 20 ⪼

This chapter is dedicated to... 0180Eillib!

Hope you all enjoy xx

⪻⪻⪼⪼

The taxi ride to Edward's school couldn't possibly be any longer, but that serves me right for hailing a taxi near lunch hour. Everyone was on the streets and honestly running would have gotten me to the school faster.

"Keep the change." I say as I practically throw some bills at the driver. I don't hear what he calls after me as I'm already charging up the steps of the school and pulling the door open. I'm met with a blast of warm heat as the main foyer comes into view.

For some reason my first instincts thought that the entire school would be up in flames. In my mind, Edward still couldn't ever be in a fight unless the entire school were fighting, or he was protecting himself in some way. The absence of fighting children did little to calm my nerves as I make my way into the front office.

"Hello, my name is Annabelle, I think we met -" The woman behind the desk looks absolutely startled at my presence, even jumping a little when her eyes finally take me in. Thankfully I'm interrupted from saying too much more to her as another woman enters the immediate area.

"Ms. Chambers." I spin around towards the voice and come face to face with a rather put together woman.

Her golden locks are pulled up into a high bun with a cut of straight bangs falling just above her eyes. She looks like every responsible adult ever in a film. Even her dress is more professional than mine, and my boss has us dressed to the nines.

"My name is Dr. Kate Black, I'm the school's counsellor." She introduces herself, extending a hand for me to shake, to which I respond appropriately. I may be frazzled, but I'm not a complete lunatic.

"Is Edward alright?" Dr. Black smiles over at me warmly and nods her head.

"Follow me, please." She begins to lead us further into the offices of the school, guiding me to wherever she pleases. "Edward is okay, he did get a bit knocked around, but nothing but a red mark or two."

I find myself sighing of relief at her words. There is still a lot more that needs to be discussed, but at least he's not sitting around somewhere bleeding.

"Edward has never acted out like this before, I promise you. He's normally such a mannered and well-behaved boy. I know there really isn't any excuse, but we did recently lose our parents and there's been a change in him, but nothing where I would have thought violence would have a play in his actions."

Dr. Black doesn't look too fazed by my rambling of Edward, perhaps she's come into contact with parents and guardians who are far worse than I. I bet she sees a lot of parents making excuses for their children or perhaps they've never had a fight on school grounds before.

"I'm so sorry to hear about your parents." I send her a small smile out of thanks and say nothing to discuss it further. "I believe I did read that in his file somewhere, so his teachers were aware. I haven't been given too much time to look into it and actually meet Edward, before the fight I mean."

"I moved Edward out to Manchester with me for work; I know it's hard on him. There just weren't many career opportunities in Northwich." I mutter, scratching the back of my neck.

"Have you been noticing any behavioural changes in Edward?"

"Yes, he's been moody, but he's still grieving."

"Well, if you don't mind, I'd like to meet with Edward a few times a week, just to talk. I have a PhD in Child Psychology so I might be of some assistance."