Chapter Thirty-Six

Radiant sea green light filled the cavern the cats had rested in. Soft murmurs and the sound of paws as they shifted in the sand was enough to jolt Elkleap into wakefulness.

His eyes widened as the immense shine of starlight filled the cave. The shimmery, star studded figures of his ancestors surrounded him. It seemed like his companions were still frozen in their dreams, with no inclination of what was about to occur.

"Have StarClan come to share something with me?" he inquired. Bubbly excitement surged over him as Blizzardstar padded forward from the crowd. The white pelted StarClan cat turned to sweep his gaze over the other ancient cats, his head held high.

"Yes, I think we are all here," Blizzardstar confirmed as he came to look back at Elkleap.

The warrior stretched aside to see just how many cats were truly present. He saw many familiar faces but even twice as many that were unrecognizable. Some of the ancient cats seemed to be covered in a malignant fog, instead of the usual comfort of starshine.

Blizzardstar waited until he had the tom's attention before he continued. "We have come to welcome you home! This is the island where IceClan will live in peace for generation upon generation."

Elkleap purred, his tail thumped happily against the chilly rock of the cavern floor as he replied. "We haven't seen very much of it yet.. but I'm sure it is truly magnificent," Elkleap rejoiced, "we are truly thankful."

Blizzardstar dipped his head diplomatically. "And StarClan thanks you," he purred, "you have faced more hardships than most would have been able to endure."

Elkleap flattened his ears, slightly embarrassed. Blizzardstar continued to speak. "I know you wanted to stay on the docks with Sun'ka. I wish that it could have been possible, but that was not IceClan's destiny."

Elkleap's eyes glittered with sadness at the mention of Sun'ka. It burned his heart to think about the fiery she-cat. "We have come to you today, to commend you for your devotion to IceClan!" Blizzardstar exclaimed.

The gathered StarClan cats started to cheer in agreement. Elkleap closed his eyes as he basked in their praise. "And now that IceClan has a new home, they will need a new leader," Blizzardstar continued, "and it really should be you."

Elkleap gasped in astonishment, "me? Why me?"

Blizzardstar rolled his eyes, "I don't think any cat has sacrificed as much as you, and still held their faith in StarClan. I had hoped that Frostfeather would have embraced a leadership role. With the dreams she had, I thought it was her destiny."

Elkleap remembered when they had left, how Blizzardstar told his daughter to take control of IceClan. But it had been him. Without any complaints or objections.

"I am humbled by your decision," Elkleap murmured.

Blizzardstar stepped closer to the brown and black warrior. He raised his voice so that all the assembled StarClan cats could hear him.

"I will give Elkleap his first life, as I was leader before him," he called. The white pelted tom extended his neck, and Elkleap reached forward to touch his nose to the old tom's.

"With this life, I give you the confidence to make even the hardest decisions, even if it means you must forge your own path. The Clan will depend on the choices you make." Blizzardstar's voice hummed in Elkleap's ears.

It felt like a world of possibilities spread in front of Elkleap's senses as Blizzardstar grew quiet. He could feel the confidence as it surged through his limbs. Yes, I will make all of IceClan's decisions, Elkleap thought.