Chapter Twenty-Eight

Dusk was gathering over the mourning cats like a thick fog. It had been utterly silent except for their labored breathing, punctuated by whimpers of grief. Jewel got to her paws, her legs stiff from their vigil. "It is time," she murmured.

Frostfeather slowly lifted herself to her feet, the Dockcats rising around her. Sun'ka turned to her group mates, her jade eyes brimming with sadness. "Today we have lost a noble, caring leader," she began, "his life was taken so that IceClan may stays."

The Dockcats turned their sorrowful gazes on the Clan cats. Frostfeather backed away, feeling tremendous guilt that it was her Clan who had driven Cairn to his downfall.

"We shall honor his life by pledging to protect IceClan. For as long as they may bless our presence, we will lay down our lives so that they may live among us." Sun'ka meowed, her voice strong despite her overwhelming sadness.

"Oh no, that's not necessary," Brokensong started to meow but she was quickly silenced by one of the Dock cats.

"He was always close with the spirit of these lands. May he watch over us during these troubling times," Sun'ka mewed, her voice wavering on the last few words.

Elkleap started to move forward, his face creased with concern but Falcon blocked his way. "She must bear this burden alone," the tom growled.

Sharp prickles rushed up Frostfeather's spine. She must bear this burden alone, the words rang like bird song in her head.

The Clan cats stayed back while Jewel and Falcon bent to pick up Cairn's body. Carefully, they placed him atop Sun'ka's slender shoulders.

Blue whimpered and turned, rushing towards Brokensong's side. She lowered her head and touched her nose to his ear, "I wish we could have prevented this," she whispered. She then walked over to Raven's side and escorted him to the safety of her den.

"Now we will carry Cairn's body to the Den of the Sky, to be buried," Jewel mewed as she turned to the IceClan cats. "It is not customary to have strangers there, but I'm sure Cairn would rather you be there."

Sootsplash and Meadowshine exchanged uncertain glances as Lionpaw nuzzled closer to her mother's side. Elkleap nodded, his muscles taut as he stared at Sun'ka. Brokensong looked uncertain as she reapperead from her den. Frostfeather could feel Pineheart quivering next to her, but to her surprise he actually answered.

"Yes, we will join you," his voice was strong, filled with such intense emotion.

"Very well," Jewel murmured. At that, Sun'ka turned and started to slowly walk towards the entrance. The dock cats clustered around her, shouldering the burden of Cairn's lifeless body.

The Clan cats followed in their own group close behind. Frostfeather looked up to the darkening sky, gray storm clouds covering its entire length. She shivered, feeling dread sweep over her.

The soft thuds of pawsteps echoed down the alley, the only noise aside from the collective breathing of all of the cats. Their trek seemed to last a lifetime; but, finally, a splash of light appeared at the end of the pathway.

Sun'ka padded into the open, making a sharp right turn to continue along the edge of the dockworker's buildings. Frostfeather watched Blue and Drizzle's gray pelts as they turned the corner ahead of them.

A fresh gust of air buffeted Frostfeather's face as she padded out. She held back a gasp as she laid her eyes on the sea. It had turned an angry black, the windswept waters clashing and rolling with wild abandon.

It was only a short distance before Sun'ka turned down another alleyway, her orange pelt disappearing into the shadows of the tunnel. The Dock cats followed without hesitation, their heads bowed in grief. Elkleap was right behind, his tail flicking as he hovered at the rear of the Dock cats.