Chapter Six {Edited}

Pineheart stared out into the camp clearing from the safety of the warrior's den. He had been awoken by loud, panicked voices that drifted through the branches.

"What's happening?"

"Where'd the sun go?"

The sun? It should be in the middle of the sky by now, he thought. He had patrolled earlier in the morning but had returned to his nest for a nap upon his return. Maybe the sun was just hidden behind the branches of the pine trees? There's no way the sun could actually be gone.

He noticed as he left the den that the sky was, indeed, dark. The camp clearing was veiled in sinister shadows. All of his Clanmates had clustered together near the camp wall. They spoke urgently or glanced up through the trees to look at the black sky. He scurried over to join them, his black tail raised in curiosity.

"Everyone must calm down," Blizzardstar demanded as he pushed his way into the center of the crowd, "wherever the sun has gone, it will return!" Pineheart could detect a note of worry in his voice. Could something more serious be happening?

Pineheart searched for his sister's white pelt among the other warriors. As he lay his eyes on her, he noticed her face was overcome with horror. What's wrong with her? She looked rigid, completely frozen as her Clanmates clustered around her. He tried to catch her attention but it was hopeless.

Foxstreak suddenly pressed close to his side. He hadn't noticed her approach. "I wonder why the sun has dissapeared?" Foxstreak wondered, her voice soft in his ear. He turned to look at her and noticed that her face reflected the same terror as Frostfeather. But what could have frightened them?

"Blizzardstar doesn't seem too concerned," Pineheart commented, his voice low. Most of the other cats were still caught up in their conversations or glanced up in the hopes to see the sun reappear. But it would not show its brilliant face in the sky, not yet.

Brokensong called out from her spot near the edge of the clamor, "StarClan may just be trying to send us a message! There is no need to assume that the sun is gone forever!" StarClan. Yes, that could be it. Maybe StarClan was just sending them a message. But what sort of message warranted the disappearance of the sun?

Pineaheart noticed Blizzardstar toss his medicine cat an odd look. Was he in doubt that this may be a message from StarClan? What else could it be?

Hailstorm stepped forward to address the Clan, his black and silver fur sleek and undisturbed. "We should carry on as normal for now. The apprentices can escort the elders to their den and make sure they're comfortable. Quietstorm, you will lead a patrol to check the borders." His resolute attitude helped to calm the Clan's worries.

The white and black splotched she-cat dipped her head and turned to pick the other members of her patrol. "Foxstreak, you will lead a hunting patrol," he continued as he turned his attention to the orange tabby.

She nudged Pineheart with her shoulder. "Do you want to join my patrol?" she asked. He shook his head. He still felt exhausted, despite his early nap. He wasn't sure he would even be able to catch any prey. He was never really adept in hunting in darkness.

"Maybe next time," he replied. She didn't seem to be disappointed this time in his refusal. She could probably see the tiredness that still lingered in his eyes.

Foxstreak bounded towards the large group of warriors. She called out for anyone who may want to join her hunting patrol. Quietstorm had started to lead her patrol out of the camp entrance; Sootsplash, Meadowshine, and Appleleaf on her tail.