Chapter Eight {Edited}

"We should leave at once," Blizzardstar insisted to his companions. Frostfeather looked over at her Clan, who had huddled around the cold bodies of Shimmerpaw and Nightvolt. It felt so wrong to be leaving them during the vigil, but their lives could depend on this small journey.

"Yes, we can leave now," Brokensong agreed, flicking her tail for Blizzardstar and Frostfeather to follow her out of the camp. It was almost dusk, nearly time for the Firestone to awaken for their nightly encounter.

Blizzardstar broke away for a moment to speak to Hailstorm before their departure. "Will they be alright while we are gone?" Frostfeather asked as he returned. Their peaceful existence had been shattered, and it would cause ripples throughout the Clan for moons to come.

"As alright as they can be. Meadowshine and Sootsplash will grieve the loss of Shimmerpaw for some time," Blizzardstar murmured as they pushed their way out through the camp entrance. She couldn't imagine how the two parents must feel, to bury their daughter. Frostfeather shook out her fur, wondering how she would feel if Pineheart or Blizzardstar were to die. She couldn't imagine what sort of future Lionpaw would face without her sister.

"Stop daydreaming! We need to be quick if we want to make it in time," Brokensong chided as she picked up the pace to a run. Blizzardstar sped after her, with Frostfeather close behind. Urgency lent speed to paws as they embarked on the path to the Firestone.

There was no time for words as they traveled, not when the sun was steadily sliding behind the massive mountain ahead of them. As they approached, the snowy grass had changed to a sleek, rocky surface. The summit was steep, almost too slippery for them to gain a claw hold.

"Over here is an easier spot." Blizzardstar indicated with his paw to a tumble of rocks a little further along the base of the mountain.

Brokensong didn't hesitate. She threw herself at the stones and started to claw her way up the side of the facade. Blizzardstar took a deep breath and leaped after her. His tail stuck straight out as he tried to keep his balance.

Frostfeather waited for a couple moments. Her thoughts started to wander. But the wind had become more intense as it whipped at her ears and whiskers. "Don't fall too far behind!" Blizzardstar yowled back at her.

She looked up and felt sick as she saw her father many foxlengths up the crumbling mountainside. With a quick gulp of fresh air, she sprang as far as she could onto the unstable rocks. She almost lost her footing, but she scrabbled at the loose pebbles until she came to stand beside Blizzardstar on a narrow ledge.

"The worst part is over," he soothed as they continued to pad carefully along the rocky outcrop. Brokensong was a good deal ahead. Her tail tip flicked with urgency as she bounced further and further along the path.

"I can't even remember the last time I was here," Blizzardstar meowed. He hoped Frostfeather could hear him over the intense gusts of the wind. "We haven't had a need to share with StarClan, until now."

Frostfeather swallowed hard. She felt some sort of foreboding tug at her paws. Until now, things had been peaceful. But now we are no longer safe, the words that Spottedrose had said rang in her ears like a lone hawk's cry.

"Hurry! I can see the cave!" Brokensong yowled as she bunched her muscles and took a flying leap towards a dark hole embedded into the mountain.

"Let's get a move on," Blizzardstar grunted as he ran and pushed off to jump into the cave. Frostfeather followed him into the cavern, relieved as the wind died down behind her. The grotto was eerily quiet and dark.

"Come forward. We mustn't keep them waiting," Brokensong chirped as she waved Blizzardstar and Frostfeather forward. It was so hard to see, she almost bumped right into the massive opal vein that crossed the wall like a stubborn vine of ivy.

"Now, press your nose against the stone and close your eyes," Brokensong whispered as she settled down next to the stone. As Frostfeather closed her eyes, a beam of moonlight flashed into the cavern and sent the opal shimmering like a sea of flames.

She almost cried out in shock, but was immediately pulled into a deep sleep. She fought to open her tired eyes and blinked them open to find a grassy clearing. It looked to be deserted, with no indication that anyone was here waiting for them.

"We're too late!" Brokensong groaned next to Frostfeather. Her brown and black tail flicked in agitation. Blizzardstar was about to agree, when two familiar pelts started hurrying towards them from out of the tall grass.

"Is that... Nightvolt?" Blizzardstar asked in disbelief. He was clearly taken aback by the elder's presence.

"Yes! And that's Shimmerpaw!" Frostfeather meowed excitedly.

"What are you guys doing here?" Shimmerpaw asked as she skidded to a halt next to the three dreaming cats. Her pelt was no longer torn or drenched with blood. She looked almost happy, while Nightvolt shined with health.

"We came to ask StarClan for guidance," Brokensong explained, "we fear the forest is no longer safe."

"Of course it's not!" Nightvolt snorted, "a sickness is plaguing these lands. Right before the sun dissapeared, I could feel a sort of evil hold taking over me. I couldn't control myself, all I felt was an unimaginable rage."

Frostfeather flicked her tail uncomfortably, this sickness sounded very serious. If it brought its host into an uncontrollable rage, everyone could be a threat. "All sickness can be treated with herbs," Blizzardstar pointed out matter-of-factly.

Nightvolt shook his head. "No herbs can cure this disease. It is absolutely fatal to any cat infected, and to the cats that are around them."

"What are we supposed to do then?" Blizzardstar asked hopelessly. Frostfeather watched as Shimmerpaw and Nightvolt exchanged a knowing glance.

A strange scent started to drift over the cats, carried by the breeze through the star studded trees. The silence seemed to go on for an eternity before Shimmerpaw finally spoke. "You must leave."

"Yes, it is time for IceClan to leave the forest," Nightvolt agreed, "StarClan knows what is to come. They have started their journey on to clearer skies."

Frostfeather noticed her father stricken with shock. "StarClan have left?" he asked, his voice came out in a startled squeak. That means that StarClan had left, regardless if their Clanmates were following them.

"Yes, we were just leaving to catch up with them now. Hopefully there aren't any other interruptions. They want to make sure they find a safe place for you to all live, over the mountain and to the south," Nightvolt meowed. He flicked his tail over Shimmerpaw's back and ruffled her fur.

"Thank you for this information," Brokensong mewed diplomatically as she bent to touch noses with Shimmerpaw and Nightvolt in turn. "We will leave as soon as we can. I know we will make it, with StarClan to guide us."

Frostfeather padded forward to also touch noses with her old Clanmates. Grief threatened to overwhelm her, but she knew she must be strong. "I'll tell Lionpaw that you're okay," she whispered as she brushed muzzles with Shimmerpaw.

But as she pulled back, the StarClan apprentice was gone. The clearing was empty but filled with a horrible, deafening howl. It was so loud, it made Frostfeather's ears ring. She blinked her eyes to find herself back in the cavern of the Firestone.

She felt her pelt prickle as another howl split the silence in her waking world. "Is that wolves?" Brokensong asked warily. Her good eye flashed in the darkness.

Blizzardstar instantly stood and bounded to the mouth of the cave. He looked out over the rolling hills and valleys towards the pine forest. "It sounds like it's coming from camp," he gasped before he leaped out and down the side of the mountain.

"Oh no," Frostfeather murmured as she followed Brokensong out of the safety of the hollow. They didn't take any precautions as they embarked down the mountainside. They needed to get back to camp as quickly as possible.