Chapter Thirty-One

Several more days passed without even a peep from Cassius and his rogues. This morning brought clear, peaceful skies to the cats that lived along the docks.

Pineheart had already missed the morning patrols, but he was perfectly content to lounge with Lionpaw, Drizzle, and Meadowshine as they stretched out along the earthen floor.

The dusky black tom started to thump the tip of his tail off the dirt. As soon as it started to move, Lionpaw tensed her muscles. As she twisted around, she caught the tip of Pineheart's tail in her paws.

Drizzle screeched with excitement as she stood and leapt. Lionpaw growled as Drizzle bowled her over.

"You two are so rambunctious," Meadowshine sighed as she rolled onto her back. The sun cascaded down the sides of the camp walls and shined like fire on her tortoiseshell coat.

"Aren't you getting to old to play like a kit?" Pineheart asked Lionpaw cheekily.

The russet apprentice batted at his tail, her eyes shined mischievously. "I'm not that old..." she purred.

Meadowshine chuckled as she rubbed her shoulder blades into the warm ground. "You are nearly old enough to be a warrior now," she pointed out.

"Am I old enough to be a warrior?" Drizzle squeaked in excitement.

Pineheart pulled his tail closer, Lionpaw still watching like a hawk. "In a Clan, you would need to train as an apprentice before you became a warrior," he informed her.

"What sort of things do apprentices do?" she asked in wonder.

Pineheart got up and into a sitting position, his attention on the inquisitive silver she-cat. "Well, they usually go practice hunting and patrolling with their mentors. They learn the territory, and what's in it. Their mentors teach them battle techniques and how to defend themselves. And when they are in camp, they help to take care of the elders," he explained.

"That sounds like hard work," Drizzle mewed.

"It is!" Lionpaw puffed, "Weaseltail would always take me out at dawn to hunt. We wouldn't come back to camp until I had caught at least three pieces of prey!"

"Wow, I haven't caught any prey for myself yet," Drizzle murmured.

"Don't you have a mentor of some sort?" Meadowshine asked in shock. She rolled over and turned her head to listen to Drizzle.

"No, usually whenever I go out with a patrol, they just all show me how to do things and take turns with teaching me things," she replied evenly.

"That sounds weird," Lionpaw muttered.

"That's just because our groups behave differently," Pineheart pointed out gently. Drizzle just shrugged, clearly oblivious as to why it even mattered.

"Well, I could train you for today," Pineheart offered, "I can take you and Lionpaw out hunting. Then you could try and catch your first prey."

He was delighted to see her eyes shine with happiness. "That sounds great!" she chimed.

"Do you want me to come with?" Meadowshine volunteered, "they're a rowdy pair."

"Sure, we can all go," he replied.

As she stood, the two she-cats bounced away excitedly. Meadowshine was already on her paws. Pineheart glanced upward, taking note of the position of the light in the sky. It would be sunhigh soon.

He trotted after Meadowshine as the two young she-cats slid down the alley of the camp entrance. The usual darkness of the close buildings still made Pineheart's pelt crawl with unease.