Chapter Thirty

Frostfeather could feel Pineheart as he jostled beside her. Raven's stiff, cold body was still resting at her paw tips. The moon had risen high in the clear night sky, bathing the clearing in its gentle light.

"It is time.." Sun'ka breathed, standing from her position near Raven's head. Elkleap leapt up at her side, instantly alert. "I'd like you to stay," she purred to him.

Falcon stepped up beside them, preparing to lift Raven's body for the trek to the Den of the Sky. Sun'ka bent down, allowing him to rest Raven along her spine. As Elkleap retreated to his den, Lily took his place to escort Sun'ka to the Den of the Sky.

The rest of the Dockcats and Clan cats got to their paws, watching in silence as the trio slowly padded out of the camp and into the darkness. Olive let out a wail, burying her muzzle into Smog's fur.

Frostfeather made her way towards them, a knot forming in her throat. "I'm sorry about your brother," she murmured, "it's always hard to lose a loved one."

"Life has just gotten so unpredictable here," Olive whimpered, "how do I know it won't be me, or Smog next? Cassius has tried for so long to destroy us."

Smog nodded sadly, "it seemed to get better once you all arrived... but I guess everything good has to come to an end."

Yes, everything good does come to an end, Frostfeather reminded herself. They had gotten to cozy, too comfortable with the Dockside cats.

Taking a step back, Frostfeather turned towards the den she shared with Stone and Pineheart. As she walked inside, she noticed that they had both already settled into their nests and fallen asleep.

Feeling a slight itch in her paws, she sighed and turned back out into the camp clearing. Almost everyone had receded into their respective dens. Only the solitary silver and white form of Jewel remained.

Frostfeather slowly walked up to her side, hoping not to startle the old she-cat.

"These coming days will be what determines if my group will continue to live on these docks," Jewel murmured as Frostfeather sat.

"What do you mean? Of course you belong on the docks. It is us who should be leaving," Frostfeather insisted.

"No... it has always been this way," Jewel hummed, "we have been plagued by Cassius for too long."

Frostfeather swished her tail against Jewel, feeling her fur shivering at her touch. "I remember when Cairn and Cassius were born. They had so much promise, so much potential.."

"Why did he leave?" Frostfeather asked softly.

"Well, Cairn and Cassius never truly had a father. We suspect it was a rogue, possibly. Or even just one of us who didn't want to be labeled as the mate of a leader," Jewel shrugged her shoulders, "of that, we are not sure. But Fable always treated Cairn in favor of Cassius. Neither of them ever gave Cassius the love and compassion he deserved."

Frostfeather felt sadness prick her heart. How could a mother ever favor one kit over another? "After he grew up, his anger worsened. I suspect that when Fable finally passed, it was he who killed her," Jewel whispered.

Frostfeather gasped, "why would you think he killed her?" she wondered aloud.

"Well... because I watched him," she mumbled, her voice barley louder than a whisper, "he lured her to the dock and pushed her in. No one knew where her body went, but I am sure it got swept away in the ocean."