Chapter Twenty

The Clan cats asked the young Dock cats questions, one by one.

"Are the Dockside cats friendly?" Elkleap asked seriously.

"Oh, yes! Everyone is so kind and nice," Drizzle purred.

"Why are you called Dockside cats?" Meadowshine mewed.

"We live on the docks, at the edge of the water," Blue explained, "it's a really great place to live."

"We should probably escort you back. I'm sure those rogues would love a chance to snatch you both up again," Elkleap observed.

"They usually don't ever come past this fish hatchery. But my mother, Juniper, was showing us the field just over there when they attacked us!" Blue exclaimed.

"Did we leave Juniper back with the rogues?" Brokensong gasped.

Drizzle dropped her gaze as Blue continued, "no, the rogues killed her."

"Oh, I am sorry," Brokensong murmured.

"Well we can take you back to your group. I'm sure they'd be happy to know you're both safe," Elkleap meowed kindly.

"Yeah, I'm sure my dad is worried sick," Blue mewed sadly. Brokensong stepped closer, her careful gaze combing over his body.

"I should tend to your paw before we leave. It looks as though you've wrenched out some of your claws," she insisted.

"What are you going to put on my paw?" He asked warily.

"I'll just chew up some marigold to apply and then wrap it in cobweb," she purred, "no big deal."

His eyes widened with curiosity, "what is the marigold for?" he asked.

"The marigold will help keep the infection away," she explained kindly.

"Yeah, Brokensong will fix you up! She's been healing our Clan for as long as I can remember!" Frostfeather purred.

"Oh, we don't have a healer at the docks. We just know basic techniques for if we get sick or injured," Drizzle mewed in awe, "I know one of our group mates died awhile ago from an infection."

"But Brokensong will fix me!" Blue trilled, his tail waving happily behind him.

"I'll need someone to go and find me some marigold and cobwebs," Brokensong meowed, turning to the others.

"I'm sure I can find some," Meadowshine offered, "marigold has the big, poofy yellow flowers, right?"

Brokensong nodded, "and cobweb should be relatively easy to find," she meowed.

"Would you want to come help me, Lionpaw?" Meadowshine asked gently.

The young she-cat shook her head, pressing close to Drizzle, "no I want to stay here with them!" she protested.

"That's fine you can stay here with your new friends," Sootsplash purred, "I'll help your mother with the herbs."

Sootsplash and Meadowshine stood and quickly trotted away towards some bushes along the edge of the wooden structure.