Ch. Twenty- Nine

"Is Ariana coming with us?" I asked, finishing my bowl of cereal and grabbing my school bag.

"No, she's riding with her brother." Luke said nonchalantly, grabbing his bag and leading me out the door to his car. 

I slid into the back seat and plopped my bag down next to me, ignoring the tight feeling in my chest. It still hurt to think about Adam, even if it had been almost a week since we've gotten back from vacation. Today, the first day back from school, will be the first time that I've seen him since the day we got back. Today was also the first day that our breakup is publicized. I wasn't really sure how this day was going to go but I knew that I absolutely wasn't ready for it.

Now that think about it, it's the first time I'm seeing Jack, too. And I still was not talking to him. I mean, I know that's not saying much since we never talked before, but it was something to me. So, take that, Jack!

When we rolled up in front of his house, he quickly popped into the car before Luke started driving away.

"Morning." Jack said with a small grin as he looked back to me.

I glared at him before looking out the window, not responding to him.

"You're still not talking to me, huh?"

"What's it to you? We're not friends." I muttered.

"Ouch." He said with a chuckle as his phone started beeping. He looked at the new text message, his eyes going wide. 

"Who is it?" Luke asked, also realizing Jack's shocked face.

"It's, uh, it's Hanna." He said slowly, rereading the text.

"What'd she want?" 

"To say hi, I guess." Jack said, replying to the text.

"Who's Hanna?" I asked, curiosity beating over the silent treatment.

Jack smirked at me through the reveiw mirror and I stuck my tongue out at him, causing him to chuckle. "She's my sister."

"Didn't know you had a sister." I said.

"Yeah, well, she moved away a few years ago with her boyfriend." He said absent mindedly as he sent his text and put his phone back in his pocket.

I left the conversation at that since the school was approaching and we pulled into the parking lot. I chuckled to myself as the cloud of girls had returned their waiting position next to Luke's parking spot. 

When he parked, I got out and grabbed my bag, clutching it to my side before going towards the school. 

"I heard they broke up."

"I heard he cheated on her."

"I heard she cheated on him."

"I heard it was Brooke."

"I heard her and Jack are together."

"I heard Jack and Allison broke up."

"I heard Jack broke up with Allison for her."

"She's such a whore."

The whispers were hard to miss with my strong hearing and I could hear everything that everyone was saying. Word does travel fast around here, even if it's not true. I heard all of these whispers and I wasn't even into the school yet, this day is going to be fun.

I bit my tongue so that I didn't snap at the groups of gossiping girls and hurried into the school building before I could hear anymore. But inside... it was so much worse.