|Ch 24| The Mafia's Queen

Not right for her

The clingy officer with blue eyes which Stephanie later found out was named Anthony had stayed with her all night while she waited for news regarding her father's condition as he was taken into surgery the moment he reached the hospital.

Night fell in a dazed blur of minutes and Stephanie had by then chewed off all her nails from the anticipation of what was taking the doctor so long to come and speak to her.

Anthony who was sweet enough to stay with her for support and company was actually beginning to get on her nerves and she knew she was being rude and not appreciative as he was all she had right now and his constant words of assurance should mean the world to her, but the fact is that they were nothing but empty words lost in thin air.

The day's events were undoubtedly taking a toll on her. She had lost Emily and Estephano all in the span of an hour and now she might lose her father. She may lose all she had left and the thought of this scared her to the bone.

Thinking of the worst were her father was no longer around Stephanie begins to silently weep to herself once again and she wants nothing more but to have someone by the name of Estephano to come and hold her like he did in their little world away from everything.

She missed him already, how was she to live like this? She had thought feeling empty and cold inside even with Anthony's thick pillowy jacket draped over her frail shoulders.

Rocking in the hospital white chair with tears cascading down her cheeks one after another she doesn't hear Anthony take a seat beside her, who had returned from the cafeteria, until she felt him pull her in his arms whispering sweet nothings into her ear which only reminded her that Estephano was not here causing her to cry out in deep anguish.

'I never told him how much he meant to me.' She weeps choking on her sobs those in the hospital looking at her in worry and pity.

"Hey sh sh I'm here, I'm here... You're okay, your dad is going to be okay I promise." Anthony continues to sympathies for her but his words fall death to her ears as all she hears is the bang of the gun and her scream. All of it a memory of that dreadful day she had lost her mother.

Her past was catching up to her but in a different form, her father was near deaths clutches and she was terrified. She had no one left if she lost her father. Who would caress her back to sleep and kiss her goodnight and greet her every morning if her father left her? Who would protect her and assure her that it was all just a dream and not a memory?

But most importantly who would love her and who would she love in a world where money can't buy happiness for happiness comes from love and affection given by those close to you.

All she had left was a stranger she had just met a few hours. She really didn't have anyone and this scared her and filled her heart with more heartache than what it could handle and it was for that reason she had passed out in Anthony's arms like the damsel in distress she was...

Waking up with a stiff neck and a groan Stephanie looks around her noticing a blanket had been draped over her soggy shriveled dress.

Frowning she sits up and from the corner of her eyes, she catches the sight of movement.

Sitting up straight now the blanket falls to her thighs and she sees the doctor speaking intently with Anthony making her heart skip a beat as this was the moment she was both anticipating and dreading for the past few hours.