|Ch 23| The Mafia's Queen

Heart of ice

After Leaving Stephanie behind Estephano had marched in angry strides out into the cold dark world where angry raindrops soaked him with cold water, and yet he did not care that his clothes were sagging off his well-built frame and especially not cold, in fact, it cooled him off as he was so hot and full of anger that he felt about ready to blow up.

Life was in full mesh and he was growing furious with the way the day turned out. It was not going his way as it usually would and this pissed him off beyond belief but not as much as much as the pain he felt when Stephanie gave up on him, on them.

'How could she?' He asked himslef as he stormed out of the building and away from the grabby officers who tried to restrain him but were in fact not doing their best due to the fear the Bandoni's struck within them.

It was no lie that they had friends both outside and inside jail and if one wrong move was done to Estephano or his family there would be hell to pay no doubt about it.

Quickly running down the stairs of the rock structure that makes up the police station Estpehano ignores his fathers shouts that follow close behind him.

His father's shouts and demands to return are all but a gust of wind that passes by a heated Estephano. Noticing his son was not going to stop any time soon Leonardo curses in Italian and snaps his hand to his men demanding them to grab Estephano before he could do something rash.

"Grab him!" Leonardo shouts to the men stationed outside the black Lincoln continental just as Estephano passed them in fast strides mumbling curses.

Hearing their bosses order their eyes widen and they go to hold Estephano who was halfway across the street and now running down the street but it was too late he was growing farther and farther away from them.

Hearing their footsteps close behind him, Estephano enters an alleyway where he hides behind two buildings in the dark watching as the men sent to bring him back to his father run down the street like idiots looking for him, unaware of the fact that they had already past him.

Even when he is sure the men were long gone Estephano stayed hidden in the dark corner, the cold filling him up like oxygen and easing the anger he had felt when Stephanie told him to leave and then he recalls the look of hurt and sadness he saw on her tear stricken face when he had given her the harsh glare he only ever gave his enemies.

Gulping the guilt he felt for the way he glared at her when all she was doing was protecting him and thinking about his well being he combes his fingers through his wet matted hair with an irritated sigh coming from his parted lips.

He is no longer thinking irrationally and now is able to understand why she did what she did. She was only doing what she had to do in order to assure herself that he would not be taken into federal prison. But the truth is that now his whole family may be in risk of getting a knock from the federals who will storm their house for shooting a police officer and not just any police officer but the top dog.

They were fucked either way and he knew his father like the back of his hand and Estephano knew his father would make sure they disappeared within the next hour and he wasn't sure if he could go with them.

What would that mean for him and Stephanie if he just disappeared from the face of the earth?

Do they even have a chance after today?