(30) Who To Trust?

Start from the beginning

     I'm glad Romeo is slowly forgetting the hate he has with this entire family, and I'm glad I helped Romeo become a better person too, I really am. But I'm afraid that I might end up being the key to the monster that he's trying to lock up for a very long time now.

     "I'll be the death of him", I tell Mat.

     Mat sighs, "Then protect him", he answers, making me laugh.

     "Protect him? Do you really think he needs my protection?" I asked Mat.

    Mat looks back at me. And with a serious expression, he answers, "He does. More than you need his."

*****

     "Romeo?" I called out as I unknowingly ended up knocking three times on my own room.

     I don't wait for his answer and just went inside.

     The room was dark, and the bed was empty, but the door to the balcony was open, so I automatically knew where Romeo was.

     "Romeo", I called out again as I went out of the balcony.

     Romeo stood near the balustrade. He doesn't say anything nor looks at me, so I walked closer to him and gently touched his shoulder, suddenly making him flinch.

     He quickly blinks and turns his head to look straight at me.

     "Oh, Julien. You're here now", he says.

     I took a deep breath and brushed his wet hair with my fingers, "You're spacing out again. I know a lot happened today, but you don't need to stay like this. It's better if you rest."

     Romeo looks straight at my eyes. He doesn't say anything, but he leans closer to give me a kiss instead. But instead of kissing me, Romeo suddenly stops midway.

     "Who were you with?" he suddenly asked me.

     I paused and confusingly looked back at him, "Who was I with? Well I've been in this house for days, who else would I be with?"

     Romeo doesn't say anything as he leans closer. He uncomfortably sniffs me and suddenly whispered, "Mat."

     "Romeo, you're being weird", I say as I quickly moved away from him. But Romeo grabs my arm and angrily asks, "Did he touch you?"

     "Touch me? Mat? No, of course not. Why would Mat-"

     I stopped when Romeo suddenly laughs at himself.

     "Oh yeah, that's right. Matthew Luca's the good guy", he says, making me look at him confusingly.

     Romeo knew that I was starting to get concerned over his actions, so he quickly shifts his expression into a serious one, and then he leans his head on my shoulder.

     "Sorry", he quickly says.

     What's going on with him?

     "Come on, let's go inside Rome. You need to rest", I say as I tried to pull him inside the room, but Romeo doesn't even budge.

     "Another bunch of my men got killed today", he now tells me, pain visible in his voice.

    He sounded so hurt that my heart was starting to ache again.

     "And all that was my fault because I was too stupid to see that fucking Matthew King was someone who will end up betraying me like everyone else did when my father was still alive", Romeo says.