Get Dolled Up

40's Bucky

Your POV

"Thanks for agreeing to go on this double date with me y/n. I know it was sudden but my boyfriend invited his friend and asked me to bring someone to accompany the guy."

I looked at my hands and sighed, "You mean Bucky, and it's no problem."

"Bucky. As in James Barnes? Honey I broke up with him a month ago."

"Dot...  Why? Didn't he spend three dollars on you at Coney Island?"

"That was a year ago y/n, and it really doesn't matter. I just realized he wasn't for me. He's sweet, but I just don't think we were meant to be." Dot finally finished looking through her make-up bag. "Enough about that. Let's get you ready eh? Sit down. Sit down."

Before I can say anything she sat me down and began to curl my hair. I stared blankly at the window lost in my own thoughts. Dot and Bucky weren't together anymore. I hate to admit it, but I was always jealous of Dolores. She managed to steal the one guy I had been crushing on ever since I met him in first grade. I tried to be happy for them since they were both my dearest friends, however it hurt. They seemed so happy together too. Honestly this whole breakup is odd, and I'm surprised that neither of them had mentioned it to me sooner, or at least why I didn't notice sooner.

"Y/n... You in there?" Dot snaps her fingers in front of my face.

"Oh! Oh... Oh I... Well I. I'm fine. I'm just thinking is all."

She stood in front of me covering my face as she puts hairspray in my hair. "Perfect. Now I'm gonna start your makeup."

I really didn't pay attention as she put the makeup on my face. In fact I don't really wear makeup. In fact... I really don't go on dates either. The only few I had been on were all set up by Dot because she said if I didn't go on dates now, when would I ever go on dates? I guess she was somewhat right. The dates were... Okay... But they were never with the man I had fallen for the man that at the time I figured was eventually to wed my best friend. Now that they aren't together, I'm a little confused. It is probably wrong to want to just go to Bucky now and ask him to go steady with me.

"So... Why didn't you tell me you and Bucky aren't together anymore? Why didn't you tell me about your new boyfriend?"

Dot paused for a moment and sighs, "I don't know y/n. I guess I thought I had told you. I'm sorry. Also me and Fred met a couple of days ago. I think he might be the one." She squealed.

She's already moved on and thinks this Fred guy is the one. Wow. Love is a strange thing. However all I can still think of is Bucky. I hadn't seen him in a while probably since before the breakup. I hope he's okay. I can't believe I hadn't at least gone to see him. I guess I have just been to busy. Shame on me.

"There. Perfect. This guy's gonna love you. Now let's pick out your dress and accessories." She helped me up and we found the "perfect" dress and matching accessories.

"Speaking of, Dot, do you know who my date is supposed to be?" I questioned looking at myself in the mirror twirling my hair.  I waited for a while but she never answered.

"Great. We're both ready and looking amazing. Let's go." She grabbed her coat, and I simply walked out the door because I hardly get cold.

We walked for a while in the crisp December air and soon I was welcomed to an elegant restaurant with chandeliers, fancy furniture, pristine silverware, and a live jazz band playing softly as couples danced together on the dance floor. In that moment I felt extremely out of place. How did Dot's Fred afford all of this?