Chapter 29

Shay's POV

The nurses have let me do a little bit more each day; two days ago I could walk to the bathroom by myself, yesterday I walked a couple laps around my room and today I got to walk down the hall and back. Right now, I'm laying in my hospital bed. Not gonna lie, that walk took a lot out of me. I see Allie walking in so I push myself into a sitting position, then recline against the head of the bed.

"Hey, Shay." She smiles weakly and gives me a long, tight hug. "Kaitlyn told me she visited yesterday."

"Yeah, it kinda sucked. She just sat there and cried, then hugged me and cried, then left. I don't even know if she said 3 words." I laugh a little.

"She's been soo torn up over this, I'm actually surprised she came in without being hysterical."

I just shrug. "What's up?"

"Nothing really." Her eyes dart around the room.

"What is it?"

"What is what?"

"You're acting nervous."

"No I'm not."

"Allie, I know you. Yes you are."

She sighs. "I don't know if I'm supposed to tell you, but Luke is on a plane right now, about 20 minutes from Australia."

I pause. "Oh. They heard the news?"

"Yeah, the hospital called your mom. She'll be here, too."

"Just them?"

"Well, yeah. They're your fami- oh."

I look down and pick at the hospital blanket.

"Shay, he wants to see you." Allie says.

"Then why hasn't he?"

"Because, at the moment, him and Luke aren't really on good terms. Plus, with Luke gone, they need to kinda fill in for him. He needs to be there."

"They're gonna continue the tour?"

"Yeah. I don't think they've told anyone about you."

"Oh." We sit in silence for a few minutes. "Are you nervous cause you plan on telling Luke?"

"Telling Luke what?" She asks and I gesture at her stomach. "Oh.. Yeah. I was gonna tell him last night on the phone but then your mom busted into his room to tell him to pack to come back..."

"It'll be okay, Allie. I promise."

"Thanks, Shay. But you need to rest, okay? I'm gonna go get some lunch, you take a nap. I'll be back before you wake up and maybe your family will be here."

"Wake me up when you get back."

"Okay."

As soon as she leaves, I lay down and fall asleep.

About 20 minutes later, a hand is on my shoulder, shaking me softly. "Shay, Shay." Allie whispers.

I sit up a little. "Yeah?"

"I'm back. Your family is gonna be here soon."

"Oh. Okay. Thanks for waking me up."

"No problem."

We sit in silence for a moment, then I speak up. "I have a question."

"What's up?"

"Earlier you said that Luke and Mikey aren't really on good terms. What did you mean?"

"Oh." She goes silent. "I don't know if I'm the one that should be talking to you about this."

"C'mon, Allie."

"Just ask Luke when he gets here."

"Ask me what?" A deep voice comes from the hallway.

"Luke!" Allie gasps and jumps up.

He smiles at her. "Can we talk in the hallway when I'm done saying hello to my sister?"

"Oh course. I'll wait out there, give you guys some alone time." She says and walks out, then gives my mom a hug in the hallway.

Luke walks over, his eyes tearing up. "Hey, baby sis." He grabs me in a tight hug and doesn't let go. "I love you so damn much, Shay."

"I love you too, Lucas." I say, a couple tears slipping out.

He sits down. "Now, what did you have to ask me?"

"Rumor has it that you and Michael are ripping into each other."

Luke chews on his lip but decides to ignore me.

"Luke, please talk to me."

"Well it's his fucking fault you're in this position! Of course I'm mad at him."

"Oh my god, Luke. No. It's not his fault."

"Don't try to protect him."

"I'm not! It's the truth." I can hear my heart beat speeding up.

"Whatever, Shay."

"I promise, Luke. Stop causing problems with him, it's gonna tear you apart. I love you both."

"Obviously he doesn't love you if you're like this." He gestures to me. "And he hasn't tried to see you yet." Luke stands.

"That's cause he has a responsibility to his band! And you're my family, he's letting you come."

"I'm glad you're awake, Shay, I just wish you weren't so goddamn stupid." Luke says, then leaves.

Allie's POV

I chat with Shay and Luke's mom for a little while, then Luke storms out of the room. Mrs. Hemmings and I make eye contact and she immediately goes into the hospital room while I follow Luke down the hallway. I catch up to him and grab his arm. "What's wrong, baby?" I ask.

"She's so dumb!"

"Shay?"

"Yes, Shay."

"Why? What'd she do?"

"She still says it's not Michael's fault."

I don't think it is either, it was the driver's fault, but I don't want to make him even angrier. "Calm down, baby."

Luke presses his back against the wall and slides to the floor. He buries his face in his hands and sighs loudly. "I'm just glad she's okay."

"Good. You should be." I lean against the wall.

"What did you want to tell me last night?" Luke asks, tilting his head so he's looking up at me.

"I-I can't say. I don't want to burden you."

Luke picks himself up and stands in front of me. "You're not a burden to me, baby." He wraps his arms around me tightly and holds me close to his chest. "I missed you so damn much."

"I missed you, too."

"You can talk to me." He whispers, pressing his lips to the top of my head.

I start sobbing into his chest. "I'm pregnant." I whisper.

"What? I couldn't hear you." He puts a hand under my chin and angles it up so I'm looking at him.

"I-I-" I burst into tears. "Luke, I think I'm pregnant."