Chapter 7

"So we're going out to town tonight, the whole squad. You want in?" I say into my phone, then set it on the bed.

"Where?" Allie asks.

"Probably out to a restaurant. It's a lot of fun with all of us."

"You sure?"

"Yes!" I laugh. "Promise. I can even give you a ride if you want, to and from. Maybe you girls can come over for the night." I shrug, even though she can't see it.

"Sure. I'll talk to my parents, then let you know. I gotta go though, I'll text you."

"Got it. Buh-bye." I hang up the phone and flop onto my stomach. I send a text to the group chat.

To SQUAD AF

We still on for tonight? I can drive the chicas, then ya'll can come back to my place. No boys allowed, tho. Hmu if you want a ride ladies.

Almost immediately, people start responding. I plan to pick up all the girls, then we're gonna meet the guys at the restaurant. I call and reserve a place for 10 at 7. Seeing that it's already 5, I decide that I should probably get up and get ready.

I send a text to the girl's group chat (yes, we have one. there's a lot of us, and some topics are for girls only.) telling them the order of pickup so they know when they should be ready, since I plan to leave at six.

I get up and change my clothes. I put on a dark blue tanktop, some white jean shorts and a white and blue cardigan. I clip on an old necklace and put in some hoop earrings. I curl the ends of my hair, then pull it into a ponytail. My hair is really long, so even though it's up and curled it still tumbles over my shoulders. I put on thin black eyeliner and step back, looking at myself in the mirror.

I look okay, my bright blue eyes popping against the black eyeliner. People tell me that Luke and I have the same eyes, but that's basically all that we have that is the same. I have dark hair, he is blonde. He's pale as a damn ghost and I'm pale also, but my arms and face are peppered with freckles. He's also a lot taller than me.

"Mom, I'm leaving!" I yell, grabbing my phone and a sweatshirt in case it gets cold.

"Alright, honey! Have fun, be safe!" I hear her yell back.

"Love you, see you later!"

I get into my car and go to Allie's house first. Since I'm a little early, I lean against the driver's side door and scroll through instagram.

"Shay? Is that you?" I hear a familiar voice ask.

I look up from my phone. Luke and the rest of the boys in his band are standing on the sidewalk. "Oh, hey Lukey. Boys." I nod to them.

"What are you doing?" Luke asks.

"Picking up Allie. We're going out with some people." I tell him.

"Who?" Michael blurts as soon as I finish my sentence.

I raise my eyebrows at him. "Just my group of friends."

"Cool. See you later." Luke says, walking off before he even finishes the sentence. Ashton and Calum follow him, but Michael lingers for a moment.

"You look really good, Shay." He won't meet my eyes.

"Thanks, Mikey. You do, too. I love your shirt." I laugh, pointing at his Green Day shirt.

"Oh, thanks. Sorry for the outburst, I just-" He pauses, looking flustered.

"Hey, Mike! Hey, Shay!" Allie bounds out the door. She's wearing some jean shorts and a nice shirt.

"Hey, Allie! Get in the car, I'll only be a second." I smile. She climbs in the passenger seat and I turn back to Michael. "What were you saying?"

"Nothing. Nevermind. Have fun tonight." He mumbles and walks off, into his house.

"Alright.." I say to no one, then get in the car.

"What was that about?" Allie asks as soon as I sit down and buckle.

"I have no idea. He was saying something, then he just got angry or something and walked away." I shrug, then head towards the next stop. I pick up Hayley, Malorie, and finally, Kaitlyn. We drive in town, laughing and singing and telling stories.

When we get in town, the boys are already inside and seated at the biggest booth in the place. We are lead to the seats and we place our drink orders. I sit between Allie and Dylan, and across from Tristan. I pull out my phone and take a selfie, everyone gets in it but Dylan.

"Come on." He pouts, tugging on my sleeve.

"What?" I ask, putting the picture on my story. Everyone else starts talking again.

"I wasn't in it."

"Do you want me to take another one?"

"Nah, just do one of me and you."

"Fine." I tilt my head and he does to, so they're touching. Dylan smiles and I do my normal selfie face, then take the picture. I set it to my story. "That's a good one."

I put my phone away as the waiter comes back with our drinks. We order our supper, then I pull my phone out again. I have two snapchat notifications. One is a screenshot, could've been anyone, but the other is from Michael.

It's a black screen and all it says is 'that must be your bf'. I get confused, then remember the picture with Dylan. I take a picture of Tristan and write 'nahh. single pringle here.' Michael opens it but never responds.

Not gonna lie, Dylan is really attractive. He's got brown hair that, in the right light, looks golden. His nose is sprayed with freckles and his baby blues are gorgeous. He's got an amazing smile, too. But we tried to date once, it didn't end well. So we kinda became friends with benefits. We don't do much, just make out every once and a while, but it's not hurting anyone.

Actually, a lot of people in our group have dated. Kenny and Kaitlyn just broke up, so things are a little weird with them, but they'll return to normal soon. Kaitlyn also had a thing with Jeff, but that ended quickly. Hayley was with Jeff and that's how she became friends with us. Malorie and Tristan were best friends. They tried to be more, but in the end they decided to just be friends. The only one's in the group that haven't dated another squad member are Tyler and, obviously, Allie.

After a while, the waiter comes out with our food. The talking dies down as everyone digs into their dishes. I don't like to talk while I eat, so I'm normally the first one done. This time is no different.

I push my plate to the middle of the table and sip on my drink. Everyone else starts to slow down and the conversation picks up again. I feel a hand on my leg and look over at Dylan. He's smiling at me, then his hand trails up to the hem of my shorts, a couple of fingers pushing under.

"No." I hiss.

"What?" He asks softly.

"Not today."

"Why not? You never complain."

"I said no." I grab his wrist and pull his hand away from my leg. "Thank you." I say sassily.

"Yeesh. What's gotten into you? Normally I can't stop you."

I ignore him, contemplating that question. He's right. But today, I dunno. I'm just not feeling it, at least not with him. I don't know what it is. The waiter returns with our check and we each throw down a few bucks, enough to cover our own meals and a tip. We all head out to the two separate cars and, after some hugs, say our goodbyes. The girls and I all climb into my car and head to my house.

After a long night, we settle in to silence. We're all tired and everyone falls asleep quickly, everyone but me. I'm stuck thinking; why did Michael get mad? Why did I reject Dylan? Why do I have this new feeling in my stomach-not sickness, but worry. What's going on?