Chapter 22

Michael leads me into the restaurant, then looks around quickly, spotting his parents and going to sit by them. He stands by the end of the table and I do the same. "Mom, dad, this is my girlfriend Shay. Shay, this is mom and dad." He gestures to them.

I reach across the table and shake hands with each of them. "It's really nice to meet you guys." I say, then scoot in the seat, Michael taking the other side.

"Right back at you, Shay." Michael's mom grins at me.

"Thank you." I rub my hands on my thighs.

The waiter comes over and gets our drink order, then leaves us again. "I've got to say, Shay, you're not like the others that Mike has brought around." His dad says after a couple minutes of conversation.

"Is that a good thing?" I laugh nervously. "To be honest, he's not like the other guys I've been with."

"And how's that?" His mum asks.

"Well, first off.." I ruffle my hand in his hair. "The galaxy hair is so different. But I love it! I never would have thought that I'd be with a guy that dies his hair, never have been before. First time for everything." I intertwine my fingers with his in the seat. "He's just different, you know? In a good way, of course. The other guys I've been with were athletes, not rockstars. They cared more about thier athletics and their social life than they did about me. Michael takes care of me and I can just tell he actually cares about me." I blush a little. "Was that too much?"

"That was really sweet, baby girl." Michael says, planting a kiss on my forehead. I squeeze his hand.

"I'm glad he's treating you alright." Michael's mom looks proud.

"He is."

The waiter comes back and takes our order. After he's gone, Michael's dad turns to me. "So, Shay, what's your last name?"

I pause for a second. "Hemmings."

"Like Luke?" His mom asks.

"Yeah. He's my brother."

"Really?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"How close are you?"

"Do you mean in age or as siblings?"

"Oh, either."

"Well, we're twins. And I'd say that we are very close, we tell each other everything. He's dating one of my best friends."

"That's funny! You guys are both doing that."

"Yeah." I laugh.

"Now, what did he think when you and Michael began dating?" His dad asks.

I just laugh. Michael blows some air out of his nose. "He wasn't very happy, dad. But he's okay with it now."

"That's good." His dad replies.

We make some more small talk until the waiter comes out with our food. We eat in silence, a few things said occasionally. I finish well before everyone else and kinda just sit there awkwardly. "You're a fast eater now, aren't you?" Michael's mom asks.

"She really is! I don't get it." Michael says.

I shrug. "I've just always been this way."

"Do you want something for dessert?" His dad asks.

"Oh, no. I'm all set. Thank you, though."

They finish their lunch and we chat some more, mostly about travelling. The waiter drops off the check and I pull my wallet out. Michael sets his hand on my arm, then shakes his head. "What?" I ask.

"Don't worry about it."

"Why not?"

"I said so."

I roll my eyes and reach for a few dollars. "Oh, honey, don't worry about it! This is on us!" His mum says.

"I can't let you do that!" I say.

"We invited you out. Put that away."

I frown and put 10 dollars on the table. "Do with that as you will. I just feel bad making you guys pay."

"You shouldn't." His dad says simply.

The waiter takes the money and we leave the restaurant. Michael's parents walk with us to his car. His mom pulls me to the side while him and his dad chat. "Honey, it was very nice to meet you. We've heard a lot about you from Michael. You make him very happy. Thank you so much."

"Aw, thank you. It means a lot to hear that, especially from you. Thank you." I give her a hug.

"Take care of my baby." She laughs.

"I promise, I will. He's my galaxy." I laugh.

"That's clever. I like it."

"Thanks."

We get back to where the guys are and I shake Michael's dads hand. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Clifford."

"Nice to meet you, too. You're very respectful, I like that. Take care of her." He grins at Michael.

"I plan to." Michael says, then shakes his fathers hand. He gives his mum a hug, then we both climb in the car. As soon as the doors are shut, I let out a loud breath. "What?" He asks.

"How do you think that went? They seem to like me.."

"They do! Don't worry. It's impossible not to." Michael rolls his eyes a little and starts driving.

"Thanks, daddy." I giggle.

"Oh? That's what we're doing?" He raises his eyebrow.

"Babe, you look fucking amazing in that outfit. I've wanted to rip it off of you since I set eyes on you earlier." I say, tugging at his tie.

"I thought you said no funny business?"

"Shut up." I laugh, then unbutton a couple buttons on his shirt.

I think it was a successful day.