Chapter 33

*WARNING: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE*

I ran out onto the field and was greeted by my teammates.

"Hey D! It's nice to have you back!"

"How're you feeling?"

"Was it the flu? I bet you it was the flu."

"Hey Daytona! It's good to have you back." Makayla bounced up next to me, her blonde curls falling over her shoulder.

"Oh hey Makayla. It's good to be back." I gave her a real, cheery smile.

The time I spent on the cheer team, has kind of brought Makayla and I closer. Well, as close as we could get without ripping each other's hair out.

"Hey. Do you mind if I talk to you for a second?" She asked and gestured to a more shaded region of the football field.

"Uh yeah. Sure." I followed behind her and when she stopped to turn around, I was taken aback.

Instead of her usual confident look, her eyes were glazed over with tears. She looked as broken as I felt on the inside. "I'm assuming you know about what I told Logan right." I nodded my head. "I'm sorry about that. It's just," she sighed and gave me a deafteted look, "I've never had a real boyfriend."

My eyes grew wide and I stared at her with my mouth gaping open, "You've never had a boyfriend?" I asked.

Her eyes shot daggers into me despite drowning in tears, "Yes. You don't need to rub it in. The point of this conversation was to apologise. I was always so envious of you growing up that I became a bitch to you because I couldn't be you. And when Logan chose you over me, well, you saw how that went." Her eyes were cast downwards as she stared at the spot of turf she had been grinding her foot into for the past minute like a child.

As much as I wanted to say 'hoe bye', I shoved it into a vault in my head and smiled at her, "It's okay Makayla. I understand. How about we start over? Friends?" I stuck my hand out to her and she looked at me with utter shock. Eyes wide open, mouth open in an 'O' and her eyebrows knitted together; the whole package.

Slowly, she raised her hand to met mine and shook it with shaky fingers, "Friends."

"I'm glad you told me Makayla,"

She cut me off, "Call me Kay."

I nodded my head slightly, "Call me Day."

We headed back towards the team together when she stopped me one more time, "Oh, and can you let Caroline off the hook? The only reason she was mean to you was because of me."

I forced a smile, "Sure." Yeah right. Not until she apologizes herself.

"Alright girls! Let's get this practice going!"

An hour and a half later, I was covered in sweat and my muscles ached from the routine we had just finished.

"Hey good practice Day." Makayla patted my back, equally drenched in sweat herself. "Oh yeah, someone wanted to talk to you. He's over on the other end of the bleachers."

"He?"

"Yeah. Said he needed to give you something." She cracked open a water bottle and took a sip of it.

"What did he look like?"

She wipped sweat off her brow and stuffed the bottle back into her bag, "Tall, but shorter than Logan. Blonde hair, green eyes. Tattoo on his face."

A lump formed in my throat and even though I was sweating, a chill ran down my spine. I tightened my grip on the strap of my duffle bag and turned to go meet Colton.