Chapter 36 | Wattys 2018!

My keys jingled as I threw them into my bag which bounced on my hip as Charlotte and I made our way to her car.

"Ready for tonight Char?" I asked, throwing my duffle into the back seat.

"Ready as I'll ever be." As i climbed into the passenger seat, Charlotte scrunched up her nose and turned to look at me. "Oh girl you smell. Do you want to take a shower or something before we go out."

"Yeah that would be great." Taking a minute I replied, "I do smell don't I?"

"Oh yeah. Roll your window down. I can't have my car smelling like hard work and sweat."

Rolling my eyes I rolled the window down like she asked, "Oh come on it's not that bad."

Seven and a half songs and several more jokes about me smelling up her car later, we pulled up into her driveway.

Her house was a small little one story house, tucked inbetween more one story houses that looked almost identical. The only indicator of who's was who's was the different cars in the driveways. The Casidy's house wasn't as big or as lavish as mine, but the family that lived inside was a hundred times happier.

I guess the saying that it's what inside that matters rings true even for homes.

When we walked inside, I was automatically welcomed by the smell of lavender.

"Charlotte? Is that you?" Ms. Casidy came around the corner leading into the kitchen holding a glass with some sort of green drink inside of it.

As per usual, she had her hair pulled back in a messy ponytail and not a trace of makeup on her perfect tan complexion. "Oh hey Daytona. Long time no see."

"Hey Mrs. Theresa. How're you and Mr. Jon doing?" I hugged the woman who served as my second mom sometimes.

"We're doing good sweetie. Char was telling me you joined the cheer team? How's that going?" She gave me an all-too-knowing look.

"Its going fine, but-"

"Sorry to cut this short Mom, but Daytona and I have plans, and she needs to shower before we can leave. Can you hold the catch up til we get back?" Giving her mother an apologetic look Charlotte dragged me to her room.

"So we have solidified plans now?" I asked with an arched eyebrow.

"Well I was thinking we could swing on over to Berkley and hit up Devils and Angels?" She gave me a hopeful expression.

"Hm," I pretended to think about it, "Yeah I guess that'll work."

She jumped up and down and clapped her hands. "Yay! Ohmygosh it's been forever, the last time we went was with-" she trailed off remembering the last time we went to Devils and Angels.

"With Cooper," a warmth enveloped me as I remembered the night we went, "it was a few months before he passed. He wanted to show us why we shouldn't go clubbing,"

"But instead, it enticed us even more." She giggled. "Now go take your shower."

~~~~🌸~~~~

I slipped into my leggings from earlier and twirled in front of the body length mirror hanging on the back of Charlotte's door.

"Um, what are you wearing? Oh no, no, no; you are not, I repeat, not going out like that." Charlotte sat on her bed, folding her legs underneath her and giving me a disappointed look.

"What's wrong with it?" I hugged lightly on my creme knit sweater and frowned, "I think it's cute."

"Exactly," she said with a sigh as if scolding a child who still, despite everyone's best effort, doesn't understand that Playdoh is not edible. "It's cute, but we are going to Devils and Angels, you need hot at least, to get in. Come here, I have this dress I think will look super cute on you."