Chapter 11: My First Kiss

At around eight in the evening I went downstairs to find Mum. When she wasn’t anywhere to be found downstairs, I searched the whole house.  I didn’t find anything so I made myself dinner and ate it at the table.

When I went back upstairs, my eyes kept glancing over to the floorboards where the diary was. I was all alone in the house. I probably wouldn’t be disturbed for the rest of the evening. A whole evening’s worth of reading was a lot.

I decided that I would write in my diary and then read some more of Charlotte’s diary.  

But then I realised that there was no more of Charlotte’s diary. I had turned through all of the pages and that had been it. So I had brought all of this up, raked my way through it and I was now expected to just forget about it; act as if I ‘d never seen it before in my life? I couldn’t do that, it would drive me crazy.

So I picked up Charlottes diary and turned the pages again, slowly and meticulously. Just as I was giving up hope, towards the end of the book, there were two addresses. I sat up and looked carefully at them. To my surprise, one of them was ours. It was written in the same neat handwriting as the rest of the diary but slightly rushed, as if she had written it in a hurry. The other one was unfamiliar. It wasn’t really an address, just the first line of one:

111-128 Prayer Road

The name sounded familiar to me, but I wasn’t sure where it was. I knew that I wanted to go there straight away. But I couldn’t; not right that minute.

Maybe could run away from the councillor tomorrow and try to find it. It wasn’t too far away, I don’t think, about half an hour.

And with that though nestling in my mind, I settled down to sleep.

***

I didn’t see Mum for the whole of that morning either and by the time break came around, I was feeling so guilty that I nearly forgot that I agreed to meet up with Jamaal.

I touched Jade gently on the shoulder and said, “Hey, I have to go, I arranged to meet Jamaal this break.”

She raised her eyebrows at me but she said ok, as long as she got to here all the gossip at lunch.

“Sure,” I said, forgetting about counselling for a moment.

When I arrived, Jamaal, as always, was surrounded by a flock of girls. He didn’t need to push his way through because when he stood up, everyone parted for him as if he was the king.

He walked over to me and smiled. “Hey, I thought you weren’t coming.”

I smiled back at him, “Well I did.”

He laughed and then said, “Let’s go somewhere a little more private.”

“With these lot? You must be joking; they don’t know the meaning of the word,” I said and sighed, wishing we could be more private too.

He shrugged and then said, “Why don’t you come with me to the cinema tonight? It’s a horror special if you like. We’ll sit at the back.”

“What, with all the snoggers?” I pretended to be horrified.

He rolled his eyes and laughed, “Where do you live, I’ll pick you up at seven and we’ll walk there.”

Just then I saw my Mum's car pull up into the car park. She was here about counselling. Not wanting to be totally mortified in front of him, I turned around and began walking away. I looked over my shoulder, beckoning him to follow me, and he did.

Soon we were all alone and he looked into my eyes. He bent down and our lips locked. I reached up and put my hand around his neck and he put his arms around me. I pulled away first and he said, “I suppose you have to go now.”

“Yes, I’m needed, I am going off site,” I said regrettably. I wished I could stay there and kiss him all day.

“It’s not midnight yet though Cinders,” he said jokingly.

I flashed him a cheeky grin and left him there. Half way down the road I blew him a kiss. I don’t know if he saw me, but I hope he did.

Then I got into my car.