Chapter 7: A Nice Lady Called Karen

When I woke up, the first thing I did was to look at the clock. I should have been in school two hours ago.

I was just about to jump out of bed when I heard Mum’s voice. “You’re not going to school today darling.”

I jumped and looked around. Mum’s wallpaper, Mum’s wardrobe, Mum’s dresser, Mum’s bed. I was in Mum’s room. That was when it all came flooding back.

“I’m sorry Mum,” I said.

She reached over and gave me a hug. That just made me feel even worse. I knew how much Mum missed Charlotte and I was guessing that I didn’t really help last night. But I also couldn’t help being a tiny bit angry with her too. I’m not sure why though, because what happened last night was just a dream. Wasn’t it?

Mum sighed, “I didn’t realise how much this has affected you. I’m sorry; I thought I was helping you by telling you about Charlotte, but obviously it wasn’t. I’m so sorry; I just wanted you to know about your sister.”

I looked at her and began to cry. She was trying so hard to help me. She just wanted to talk about Charlotte. Is that why she wrote the diary? Because she wanted to talk about Charlotte but I was too young to understand?

“Oh Faye, I’m doing again aren’t I?” She sighed and I stopped crying.

“No, you’re not. Honestly, I think I should go to school today, to give you some space, y’know.” But she insisted that I stay home.

“I’ve already called the school now. Go back to your room now yeah? I will call you down for your lunch.”

 I nodded and got up. Once I was in my room, I got out Charlottes diary and began to read.

16th July, 6.09pm

There is now no doubt in my mind that I have to see my Mum. I have to see her. I need to know why she has told Faye that I am dead. I went to see her last night. Lily and Dan don’t live that far away from my old house. About a twenty minute walk. So I climbed up the wall using a drain pipe and some ivy. That’s how I got into my room. I expected it to be just the same as when I left. My entire set of nail varnishes and my old beanbag and posters of the Pink Girls on the walls, but I was wrong. My room was now Faye’s room. So when I got inside, it had been filled with her things, and she was there in her bed, sleeping.

I gazed at her for a while. She looked just like me when I was her age. I tried to work out how old she must be now. Eight or nine I think.

Then, I turned my back to her and began to look through her things. She did have nail varnishes, but they weren’t all pink. Some were blue and green and purple too. She didn’t have a picture of me. I wish I could give her one, but I don’t want to break in again. It was too scary.

Faye woke up after a while. She thought I was a ghost because Mum had told her I was dead. And I need to know why.

17th July, 11.45am

I have talked to Hilary and she has said that I can spend the day with my Mum. I am really excited because I will get to see Faye! I can’t wait!

If Mum did write this diary, then how did she know about my dream? She couldn’t have known about a dream that I had six years ago, seven or more years ago. There were only two explanations; either Mum knew what Charlotte had done and it wasn’t a dream and decided to put it into the diary to make it seem more real (but even that wouldn’t really make sense), or Charlotte really did write this diary? Either way, what happened that night wasn’t a dream.

By that time too, I think I had just about worked out who everybody was. Hilary was her social worker or carer or something. Lily and Dan were the people she lived with. Her foster family. The whole puzzle was starting to piece together.