Ch-15 Feelings, Friends and Foes

Começar do início

"Well then I think I will go and see the mother and baby then." Humaira stood up tying her Niqaab before she went outside, with Umar following close behind her.

Her knock did not bring an immediate answer and as Umar argued with her to let him knock properly meaning loudly, the door opened and a woman stood in front of them.

She was a tall, striking black woman with her hair pulled tightly in a bun wearing a baggy shirt and leggings. She looked inquiringly at Humaira who in turn stared curiously back at her.

"May I come in for a few moments?" Humaira finally spoke, her hand already removing the Niqaab as the woman moved aside with a slight nod.

"Ah are you the one who was crying so mournfully the whole night?" Humaira exclaimed catching sight of a child who was lying upon the bed amidst various things and clothes. "But Masha Allah you are a handsome little guy aren't you?" Bending over him, she touched his soft frizzy hair and smiled tenderly at him.

The words and gesture was enough to win the mother's heart whose inquiring look was now replaced by a beaming smile.

"How did you know about his crying?" She asked with an anxious look in her eyes and as Humaira raised her head to reply, she saw that the woman looked quite worn out.

"It is not as if our wooden walls are sound proof huh?"

The mother chuckled but said apologetically, "Did he keep you awake the whole night then?"

Humaira shook her head. "Not exactly. But you don't have to worry about that, and he is my brother. Come here Umar and see the baby."

Umar who had been standing near the door, came forward a little shyly and gazed curiously at him before exclaiming, "He is big!"

The woman smiled and Humaira softly chided, "Say Masha Allah!"

"Masha Allah big baby." He said making both women laugh.

"I am Jolie, commonly Jo." The mother said watching in wonder as Humaira lifted the heavy child into her arms.

"I'm Humaira... what is your name? And why do you stare so little guy? Do you find me pretty?" Humaira dimpled while his mother replied chuckling,

"He is Flis. Flis William... I am wondering how he has allowed a stranger to lift him up without a single wail."

"Oh he likes me... Don't you Flis? But why was he crying so yesterday?" Humaira looked at Jo and again noted how tired she looked.

"I don't know exactly." Jo said with a little helplessness that every new mother betrays when speaking about her first child. "I think it was his tummy but Fred says it may be his ear. He got ear pain before when we were at home."

"Mm..but he is quiet now, so you gave him what medicine?"

To Jo's answer, Humaira assured that it was a good med, and shook her head amusedly when Jo asked in surprise whether she herself was a mother.

"No but I was like one to my niece the past two months. She is my brother's daughter and we had been staying there at his home the last fortnight. But now Alhamdulillah we are returning back to India..."

"Oh you will be disembarking at India then? We are going to Singapore..." She stopped when she saw that Umar was pulling Humaira's abaya.

"Yes dear?"

"I'm going back to Saif Bhaiya, to our cabin..." He said in Urdu, having become bored by not able to follow what they were talking so fast in English.

As Humaira nodded, he skipped back making Jo say with a smile,

"Became bored did he with all this grownup talk?"