Ch-35 Learning to Love Allah... (Part 1)

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet and Master Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                                       -Aameen.

Dedicated to my step-mamma, for her support throughout and showing that every person have their flaws and faults, it is when we repeatedly forgive and overlook –then that shows our love is indeed true! 

Chapter Thirty-Five

Learning to Love Allah… (Part 1)

Minnesota, U.S.A

“Sweetheart you’re back!”

Maryam paused in the act of removing her jacket, and turned to her father’s voice with a wide smile.

“Abba!”

Sufyaan enveloped his darling daughter in a bear hug, before releasing and searching her face with a frown.

“You’re early.”

Maryam nodded, shrugging off her coat and glancing towards the dial above the door.

“I didn’t want to miss Maghrib. Gosh there’s only fifteen minutes left!”

“Had a good day?” He asked with glowing pride in his heart, watching her hurriedly loosening her hijab and muttering about flying time.

“Great!” Maryam paused and grinned. She indicated an arm towards the shopping bags that were lying in arrant piles upon the couch.  

Sufyaan grinned back. “What do you say we order dinner? Or would you prefer eating lousy food of your dad’s making once again?”

His daughter snorted and said with feigned thoughtfulness. “You’re not that bad Abba…”

Sufyaan laughed. “That decides it; you’ll suffer my cooking tonight!” He called as she rushed upstairs.

“I’ll help you!” Her amused voice floated down.

As promised after Isha Salah, Maryam helped her father in making dinner while she chatted about her shopping spree with her friends. Then listened when Sufyaan talked about his day, the problems that arose at his garage, and some funny incidents that occurred… so before they knew it, both had finished eating in between laughs and Maryam shooed away her father while she briskly washed the dishes, cleaned and set everything back in order.

Yet Sufyaan could not help noticing that his daughter looked a little preoccupied, and when she came to sit with him in the living room, he suggested a walk to which she readily agreed.

Their neighborhood was not shabby, snazzy or posh, but a mixture of quaint and modern houses with flowering shrubs and little lawns, while slim trees adorned the sidewalk.     

Some youngsters shouted and raced each other in bikes past the father and daughter who walked silently in the deepening dusk, absorbed in their own thoughts.

“Care to share with your Abba what’s troubling you my heart?” Sufyaan’s comforting voice rumbled, breaking the hush that surrounded them.

Maryam looked at her father, her arm entwined in his and saw him looking at her gravely. She did not deny yet nor did she reply.