Part 4: Boys and Men

"So, wait, what happened with Wes?" I asked Christine later that day, walking with her to class

"So, wait, what happened with Wes?" I asked Christine later that day, walking with her to class. "Margie looked really panicked when she saw him this morning."

"He was ran into Mike when Mike's dad went to find him yesterday," Christine said. "I wasn't there when it happened, I was grabbing you the change of clothes, but I was told he... overreacted to the news that you were in the hospital and needed to see Mike."

"Hmm," I said, readjusting my backpack. With a quick glance, Christine questioned me, "I just, maybe he's gotten over everything now, and we could be friends again. What?"

"Nothing," Christine said. "But you should ask him about it before you make any snap decisions."

"What? Just tell me what he said," We turned a corner and Christine only shook her head in response to my frustration. "C'mon."

"I won't be a gossip," Christine replied. She gave me a grin when I groaned, "Oh, you'll be alright."

When, after another dramatic groan on my part, Christine didn't change her mind I huffed. "Whatever," I said. We walked into Ms. Crewel's room then, settling in our seats only a row apart. "How did I guess we were having a pop quiz?"

"Ms. Paetzold, please refrain from sarcasm in this classroom," Ms. Crewel said, finished with writing 'Pop Quiz!' on the board. "It is the lowest form of wit, it does not become you."

I rolled my eyes but refrained from saying anything. I'd always been the perfect student, but ever since the prophecy my grades and general classroom behavior had fallen down. This pact with Christine and Margie was the perfect time to get back on track.

"Ah, pop quiz, Ms. Crewel got us again," Michael said as he plopped into his desk on the right of mine.

"You're in a good mood," Christine observed.

"I had a good night," Michael replied without skipping a beat. He smiled easily and his eyes were energetic despite our late night. "What about you?"

"It was fairly uneventful," Christine replied with a shrug. "This morning was exciting in comparison." Michael looked curious, so Christine answered his nonverbal question. "Alenia told us everything, and after her break up with Hank we decided to make a pact to stay single for the rest of the year 12 cycle."

"Wha-"

"Books away and pencils out," Ms. Crewel announced, unconcerned with the confusion that Michael had. "This is not an open book quiz, but you can use your calculators." I'd already started my quiz when she continued, "If I catch anyone cheating, reading notes out of their calculators, automatic zero and no calculator on your next quiz."

The quiz was hard, another reminder that my studies had fallen behind. Math had never been my best subject, honestly, I didn't have a best subject, but with study I had always been capable. The problem was, I hadn't been studying. When I had studied, my mind had been unfocused.