Part 4: Focus

"Stop!" I said, halting Alenia's turn to see me

"Stop!" I said, halting Alenia's turn to see me. "Don't look at me yet."

"What?" She asked, standing mid-turn with her hands splayed out, balancing herself midstep. We stood in silence for a moment, and her patience began to wear thin. "Michael!"

"I've had a crush on you for years," I said, finally breaking the silence. "And I wanted you to know that before you turned around."

"Why?" She asked.

"Because you need to know before you turn around because even if we don't mate, or something else goes wrong, I still like you,"I said. "I've liked you since we were kids, before the prophecy, and everything since has only proved that I was as right then as I am now."

"No," She said, clarifying. "Why do you like me like that?"

I let out a laugh, nervous and so sad that she was asking that. "Why wouldn't I? You're strong and loyal, and you stand up for yourself. I mean, you never seemed to have that awkward stage where you copied everyone around you."

"Michael- I-" She said, "You know I-"

"I know," I said. She didn't feel the same way, before this year I'd been barely a blip on her radar and yet... I had to tell her, she had to know. "But that doesn't change any of this."

"Okay, yeah, uhm," She said, laughing nervously. "I haven't really been living up to your thoughts of me, have I?"

"Alenia, you always exceed my expectations," I answered honestly.

She took a deep breath, "I'm going to turn around, now."

When I turned around I looked for Michael, standing up on the platform a few steps above me

When I turned around I looked for Michael, standing up on the platform a few steps above me. I wasn't brave enough to face him, so I started at the bottom. His shoes and up his jeans, looking at his shirt before making it to his face. His dark hair, just a little disheveled, framed his hopeful and nervous eyes. He looked completely the same, and yet...

"Well?" He asked quietly. It was as if he was worried he would spook me and I would run away. As if I could run away, turn my back on him and ignore everything. As if I could ignore the way my every cell had roared for the moment I had first seen him.